Skip to main content

Fondant Fun

One of my friends is having a baby soon so we of course had to throw her a shower.  My other friend Hillary did all of the work and put together and awesome shower for her.  She put me in charge of the cake and gave me a picture of the cake she was hoping for.  It was beautiful and I was a little scared, but excited to try something new.

The cake was made of fondant which I have never used before.  I am not a fan of regular fondant so I decided to try marshmallow fondant.  I still wanted to use mainly butter cream just because it is the best, but I used the fondant for the details.

It was quite the adventure making it.  The hubs was a great help and we had fun together making it.  It was super sticky & messy.  Most definitely a learning experience for sure.  But I'm happy that I only had to make one batch.


It was a lot trickier to work with then I was expecting.  It is just so soft and stretchy.  And Diamonds were a hard shape to start with.  Getting them all the same side was super hard and as soon as I would pick it up it stretched like crazy.

I'm certainly not in love with this cake.  I really only see all the imperfections.  Not too shabby for the first attempt and first time every using fondant, but I was kind of embarrassed to take it to the shower.  But I did.  Everyone said they loved it.  I still think they were just being nice.  But at least it tasted good.  It was a checkerboard cake with chocolate cake and white cake that was dyed blue and the inside did come out good.  A stranger asked me for my card so I guess it at least impressed one person.  :)







I had tons of extra fondant and we celebrated my Mother-in-laws birthday the following day so I used some of it to cover a cake for her.  I still have about half left.  I was going to let the kids play with it as play dough but haven't prepared myself enough for that sugar rush yet.  I like the flavor of it better on the chocolate cake a little better.  The white with the butter cream and the marshmallow was just a little too sweet but the chocolate balanced it out a little more for me.  But I really did love the fondant, it tasted kind of amazing.  I kept popping pieces when I was making the cakes.  I think I might start using it more often.  Not to mention, if you can really cover a cake in fondant it looks awesome!  So many things you can do with it so it would be fun to get better at that.

View of the checkerboard. Not perfect, but not too shabby. 


Anyway, after not making a cake in a few months to making 3 cakes in 1 week I think I'll take a little cake break.  But I will totally use this fondant again!


And here is a cake I made for another baby shower a while ago.  Just a simple cut out cake, but it was sure fun to make!

Comments

Shantel Aleece said…
wow! seriously amazing. I can't believe that is your first attempt with fondant. It looked so great.

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...