Here is another post that I started back in JUNE. Not sure
why I never posted it, but here it is.
Father’s day talk
This past conference there were quite a few talks relating
to the family and the rearing of children. Today I have been asked to
speak on one that was given by President Boyd K. Packer entitled “And a little
Child Shall Lead Them.”
While studying at BYU I had the opportunity to major in Family Life. Being
raised in the church the topic of Families has always been dear to my heart but
after taking dozens of classes based on the Family, my love for the subject
grew tenfold.
Brothers and Sisters, the
family is the most basic and fundamental organization both in time and in
the eternities. Time has even proven this. Just as it says in the
Proclamation, “The disintegration of the family will bring upon
individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and
modern prophets.” When we look at our society today, it is sad to
say that the new norm is broken families. More children are being born
out of wedlock then within. A large number of children are being tossed
back and forth between parents. It is not only affecting those
individuals and families, it is greatly impacting our society and not for the
better. More crime, less stability, less education, the list could go on
and on. This is not the way it should be. It is not the way the
Lord has intended it to be.
Pres. Packer said: “The
ultimate end of all activity in the Church is to see a husband and his wife and
their children happy at home, protected by the principles and laws of the
gospel, sealed safely in the covenants of the everlasting priesthood. “
I LOVE this quote. It
brings me so much comfort. Every day I am scared to death to raise my
children in this wicked world. I wonder how they are going to overcome
all the temptations and wickedness that will be placed before them. I
have no doubt, This is the way. Protecting them with the principles and
being sealed safely in the covenants.
Now obviously this is
no small task. Pres. Packer says “The
creation of life is a great responsibility... It is the challenge of
mortality to be a worthy and responsible parent.” I’m sure
that any of us who have worked closely with children have felt and understand
parent guilt. We think to ourselves, I should have been more patient, and
kind. I should have given more hugs and kisses. I should have borne
my testimony more often. It is an overwhelming and sometimes seemingly
impossible task.
Sister Cheryl A Esplin 2nd counselor
in the Primary General Presidency told us in this past conference: “What a
sacred responsibility Heavenly Father places upon us as parents to partner with
Him in helping His choice spirits become what He knows they can become.
This divine privilege of raising our children is a much greater responsibility
than we can do alone, without the Lord’s help. He knows exactly what our
children need to know, what they need to do, and what they need to be to come
back into His presence. He gives mothers and fathers specific instruction
and guidance through the scriptures, His prophets, and the Holy Ghost.” End
Quote
It is so comforting to
know that we have a loving Heavenly Father to turn to in helping us with this
enormous calling. The one calling in which Pres. Packer says is our “first
calling—[one] from which [we] will never be released.”
He wants so badly for us to
succeed in this calling because they are His children too and He wants them
back. So what do we need to do in order to truly magnify and succeed in
this most sacred of callings?
President Packer turns us to the
Savior. He recounts His visits both in Jerusalem and in the Americas
where he calls the little children to come to him. The Saviors is our
ultimate example and Pres. Packer stated that “There is much to be learned from
following His example in seeking to pray for, bless, and teach ‘those little
ones.’”
Now out of these three things,
Pray, bless and teach, I think the
hardest one is teaching. Luckily
this is what Sister Esplin’s talk was all about “Teaching our children to
Understand.” She says “Teaching
our children to understand is more than just imparting information. It is
helping our children get the doctrine into their hearts in a way that it
becomes part of their very being and is reflected in their attitudes and
behavior throughout their lives.”
I honestly had not thought about the difference in teaching vs.
teaching to understand but there
is a HUGE difference. Honestly, there are some days where I am just happy
we were able to read a scripture and say a prayer because it was like pulling
teeth to do so. But I know that this is not enough. When we are
teaching just to check it off the list, what is being taught is most likely
going in one ear and out the other. In which case, it is almost
pointless. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said, “We all understand that the
success of the gospel message depends upon its being taught, and then
understood, and then lived in such a way that its promise of happiness and
salvation can be realized.” Without
the understanding, the message has little to no impact. Teaching them to
understand is the most important part of teaching.
So how do we help them understand?
Sis. Esplin says: “Our role as
parents is to do all we can to create and atmosphere where our children can
feel the influence of the spirit and then help them recognize what they are
feeling… Teaching for understanding takes determined and consistent
effort. It requires teaching by precept and by example and especially by
helping our children live what they learn.”
Example and experience are
two of the greatest teachers. Be a good example for them. Let them
make their own choices and help them recognize and understand the consequences
both good and bad. When they make mistakes, teach them that the atonement
is real. Pres. Packer said, “If [we] understand and apply the
Atonement, [we] will know that those experiences and the pain connected with
them can be erased. No pain will last forever. It is not easy, but
life was never meant to be either easy or fair. Repentance and the
lasting hope that forgiveness brings will always be worth the effort.”
Brothers and Sisters, “Our
families can be forever. As we
obey the commandments and live the gospel fully we will be protected and
blessed.”
My kids are so lucky to have this guy as their daddy!
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to surrounded by such amazing fathers. My Husband, My Father, My Father-in-Law. All of these men are amazing examples to me I am blessed beyond measure to have them influencing my children and me on a daily basis. Thank you for your love. Thank you for your selflessness. Thank you for being worthy Priesthood holders.
I love you!




Comments