OK, so that might be a slight stretch.... but seriously, aside from my wedding and becoming a mom this really was the next best thing. I know it may sound ridiculous but I was giddy. Like standing there waiting and grinning from ear to ear so anxious to hear these guys.
Let me back up a little bit. PTX stands for Pentatonix. They are an a Capella group that competed on and won The Sing Off last year. I have been a fan of theirs since the show and have been cyber-stalking them to know when they put out knew songs, videos, and most importantly when they are coming to the area. The moment I found out they were come to San Francisco I put it on the calender and almost asked Jeff to take the day of to ensure we would be able to make it. I have been to a few concerts in my life, but never one that I wanted to attend this badly. I was super excited. I literally bought tickets the moment they went on sale for fear they would sell out, which they did, so I'm glad I bought them when I did.
We got a late start because Jeff had to work late, and then the babysitter was late. I was in a slight panic because I DID NOT WANT TO MISS A NOTE! We hit traffic too once we got to the city. But finally we made it, found a place to park and headed over to The Great American Music Hall for the concert. When we got there the line went around the block. no joke! So we waited for what seemed like FOREVER! Luckily there was an opening act and although we did miss a few of his songs, I didn't miss anything from Pentatonix.
In case you are not familiar with them, let me tell you a little bit about them, aside from the fact that they are amazing. Having been involved in music my whole life, I have a deep love for it in all it's varieties. In high school I really got involved in a Capella music which I especially love. I know how challenging it can be and what it takes to actually sound good and without other instruments assistance that is extra challenging. So Pentatonix is made of up 5 people, 4 boys and 1 girl. 3 of them are 20 years old. They arrange their own music. Not only that, it is super challenging, intense, innovative and amazing! Their blend is RIDICULOUS! There are times I cannot tell who is singing which part. They have such a full and awesome sound and they only have 5 people. It seriously blows my mind. I could ramble on and one and probably not make much sense because I seriously just cant even focus when I think about them They are SO TALENTED!
A few things about the concert itself. The audience was so random. It had people every age from about 7 to 70 (not exaggerating . And people from ever type of clique you can imagine. It was quite the sight and quite awesome all at the same time.
The entire time I stood there in shock. Seriously, hands to my face, jaw dropped, at some points I even had tears in my eyes. I have always been impressed with their music but to hear it live... UNBELIEVABLE!
The crowd was really into them which was good and bad at the same time. It made it fun, but I seriously almost started shh-ing people. I came to hear Pentatonix sing, not the crowed. haha. I know that is bad, but really, I just wanted to hear them so badly, I really didn't want people to sing or cheer. I almost wished it was a more formal setting where you only applaud between numbers. Now I know that is not what PTX wants. They love having the crowed screaming and singing and it did make it more fun, but they are just soooooo good! I didn't want to miss a note.
The ONLY way the concert could have been better would have been if I was closer. Us getting there right when it started put us pretty far in the back. Also, they always call one fan up for a certain song, and I'm not going to lie, I wish it would have been me. They are the first band that I have ever truly, truly LOVED. I keep joking that if they would have been around 10 years sooner, maybe even 5, I would totally be their groupie. I would attend every single concert and seriously just follow them around the county. I love them. I could listen to their music ALL DAY LONG.
I think one of my favorite things about them is the fact that my hubby love them almost as much as I do. We lay in bed the other night and listened to some of their sons until after 1:00 am. No joke. We kept saying we need to go to sleep but then we just kept hitting play and neither of us was willing to turn it off mid song. It is fun to have something that we both really love.
And just in case if you are interested here is one of my favorite songs they do, mostly because of how the song is arranged. Musical Geniuses! Keep in mind they are using only their voices.
And other oldie but goodie.
The concert also made me have more love and respect from them individually and as a whole. Each of them brings something to the group and without any one of them they really would be missing something. The group started with the 3 main singers (Mitch Grassi-the amazing high, beautiful voice, Scott Hoying- the main lead, & Kirstie Maldonado- the beautiful harmonizing girl). They grew up together and have sung together forever. Finally, in HS they put together a little trio and started throwing videos up on youtube. Then they heard about The Sing-off but needed 5 people in order to compete. They found an awesome bass (Avi Kaplan) through a mutual friend and then found the most talented beat-boxer I have ever heard (Kevin Olusola). They found him via a youtube video where here was beatboxing and playing the Chello at the same time. This guys is CRAZY talented! He also knows Mandrin, can play the saxophone, and is a pre-med Yale graduate.
Anyway, I love them all. I am amazed at their musical knowledge, their ability to arrange music, and most of all their ability to perform it! I love that their show was clean, the ticket even said ages 6 and up! This means so much to me in today's world where you can't even turn on the TV without hearing or seeing something crude. I can't wait to see them again (hopefully in January). Until then, I will continue to cyber-stock them.
Let me back up a little bit. PTX stands for Pentatonix. They are an a Capella group that competed on and won The Sing Off last year. I have been a fan of theirs since the show and have been cyber-stalking them to know when they put out knew songs, videos, and most importantly when they are coming to the area. The moment I found out they were come to San Francisco I put it on the calender and almost asked Jeff to take the day of to ensure we would be able to make it. I have been to a few concerts in my life, but never one that I wanted to attend this badly. I was super excited. I literally bought tickets the moment they went on sale for fear they would sell out, which they did, so I'm glad I bought them when I did.
We got a late start because Jeff had to work late, and then the babysitter was late. I was in a slight panic because I DID NOT WANT TO MISS A NOTE! We hit traffic too once we got to the city. But finally we made it, found a place to park and headed over to The Great American Music Hall for the concert. When we got there the line went around the block. no joke! So we waited for what seemed like FOREVER! Luckily there was an opening act and although we did miss a few of his songs, I didn't miss anything from Pentatonix.
![]() |
| The line after we had been waiting for about 25 minutes. |
![]() |
| Sorry hubs, its the only shot we took together that night. |
![]() |
| Me Super excited and ready for the show to start. Please note the stars on my hands which indicate, like the 9 year old in front of me, I will not be drinking nor am I allowed to leave the premises. |
![]() |
| And here they are! I love them! |
In case you are not familiar with them, let me tell you a little bit about them, aside from the fact that they are amazing. Having been involved in music my whole life, I have a deep love for it in all it's varieties. In high school I really got involved in a Capella music which I especially love. I know how challenging it can be and what it takes to actually sound good and without other instruments assistance that is extra challenging. So Pentatonix is made of up 5 people, 4 boys and 1 girl. 3 of them are 20 years old. They arrange their own music. Not only that, it is super challenging, intense, innovative and amazing! Their blend is RIDICULOUS! There are times I cannot tell who is singing which part. They have such a full and awesome sound and they only have 5 people. It seriously blows my mind. I could ramble on and one and probably not make much sense because I seriously just cant even focus when I think about them They are SO TALENTED!
A few things about the concert itself. The audience was so random. It had people every age from about 7 to 70 (not exaggerating . And people from ever type of clique you can imagine. It was quite the sight and quite awesome all at the same time.
The entire time I stood there in shock. Seriously, hands to my face, jaw dropped, at some points I even had tears in my eyes. I have always been impressed with their music but to hear it live... UNBELIEVABLE!
The crowd was really into them which was good and bad at the same time. It made it fun, but I seriously almost started shh-ing people. I came to hear Pentatonix sing, not the crowed. haha. I know that is bad, but really, I just wanted to hear them so badly, I really didn't want people to sing or cheer. I almost wished it was a more formal setting where you only applaud between numbers. Now I know that is not what PTX wants. They love having the crowed screaming and singing and it did make it more fun, but they are just soooooo good! I didn't want to miss a note.
The ONLY way the concert could have been better would have been if I was closer. Us getting there right when it started put us pretty far in the back. Also, they always call one fan up for a certain song, and I'm not going to lie, I wish it would have been me. They are the first band that I have ever truly, truly LOVED. I keep joking that if they would have been around 10 years sooner, maybe even 5, I would totally be their groupie. I would attend every single concert and seriously just follow them around the county. I love them. I could listen to their music ALL DAY LONG.
I think one of my favorite things about them is the fact that my hubby love them almost as much as I do. We lay in bed the other night and listened to some of their sons until after 1:00 am. No joke. We kept saying we need to go to sleep but then we just kept hitting play and neither of us was willing to turn it off mid song. It is fun to have something that we both really love.
And just in case if you are interested here is one of my favorite songs they do, mostly because of how the song is arranged. Musical Geniuses! Keep in mind they are using only their voices.
And other oldie but goodie.
The concert also made me have more love and respect from them individually and as a whole. Each of them brings something to the group and without any one of them they really would be missing something. The group started with the 3 main singers (Mitch Grassi-the amazing high, beautiful voice, Scott Hoying- the main lead, & Kirstie Maldonado- the beautiful harmonizing girl). They grew up together and have sung together forever. Finally, in HS they put together a little trio and started throwing videos up on youtube. Then they heard about The Sing-off but needed 5 people in order to compete. They found an awesome bass (Avi Kaplan) through a mutual friend and then found the most talented beat-boxer I have ever heard (Kevin Olusola). They found him via a youtube video where here was beatboxing and playing the Chello at the same time. This guys is CRAZY talented! He also knows Mandrin, can play the saxophone, and is a pre-med Yale graduate.
Anyway, I love them all. I am amazed at their musical knowledge, their ability to arrange music, and most of all their ability to perform it! I love that their show was clean, the ticket even said ages 6 and up! This means so much to me in today's world where you can't even turn on the TV without hearing or seeing something crude. I can't wait to see them again (hopefully in January). Until then, I will continue to cyber-stock them.
I LOVE YOU PTX
Please come back to The Bay!





Comments