Skip to main content

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat the meal as I had been imagining - forgetting that cold eggs are gross! So with all my fussing with the hashbrowns I completely forgot about the bacon which was now burnt to a crisp! In my efforts to get it off quick boiling oil splattered onto my skin which hurt A LOT!! I hurried to the sink to put cold water on it, asked Jeff to finished collecting the bacon and I instantly began to cry, partially because of pain, but mostly because of frustration of my perfect meal gone horribly wrong. I regained my composure, and turned around to find the hashbrowns of course still on the burner and now also being burnt to a crisp! They were my last hope and now they too were ruined. Seeing this sight i threw them onto my plate, threw the sizzling hot pan into the sink, and ran to the bed balling like a baby! I honestly have not cried that hard in YEARS!

(Note: Inside I found this whole situation rather ironic because I am currently writing a lesson for parents on temper-tantrums for toddlers and every single thing I did, I had previously written about it in the lesson. I just had an adult temper-tantrum . . . WOW! What are these hormones doing to me?)

Of course Jeff came in to console me, and then later laugh at me because I was crying over burnt food. Which was and still is obviously ridiculous to me now, but at the time it was such a big deal. You see, we have been so busy lately that I was really excited to have fun cooking with Jeff and then to eat our yummy little meal together. And that did not even come close to happening. You also have to keep in mind that my dad is one of, if not the best cooks in the world especially when it comes to breakfast; so the meal I had in my head I could not have done anyway because I wanted my dad's breakfast which I have just not mastered yet. In all my tears I asked why I couldn't cook like my dad Jeff said, he has had more practice than I had. Which of course is true, I just wanted it so badly and then everything went so wrong.

So after many tears and being comforted by the best husband in the world I sat down to eat my breakfast: Cold Eggs, Burnt Hashbrowns, and Crispy Bacon while my wonderful husband cleaned up the mess and did all the dishes. In hindsight, this is still obviously ridiculous to me and I just cracked up while writing this whole thing. But the funniest thing is honestly how hard I was crying. Tears, gasps, moans . . . WOW. Jeff is still teasing me about it. O-well, such is the life of an emotional pregnant woman.

Comments

Adam and Lisa said…
Hahaha, poor you!!! Isn't being pregnant fun??? Thank goodness for amazing husbands who make it all bearable. :)
Kim said…
I'm sorry but I was laughing hysterically when I read your story. It's so funny because it's not you at all. You are one of the most mellow and happy people I know. The hormones are taking control! :) Love ya!
heather said…
Ya know, this story is funny, but it is also a perfect example of real life! We have all of these hopes and expectations of this perfect-looking picture in our heads, and NOTHING ever goes that way! That is a lesson I am constantly learning, and flexibility is one of my new goals for myself. :) My sister always says something along the lines of a flexible woman never gets bent out of shape! haha ... Hormones do have a lot to do with it, but when you add another person to the situation (especially a little infant who a) cannot voice any opinion besides crying and b) is completely and 100% dependent on you for absolutely everything in life!) it gets even more crazy! Sooo ... lesson learned? Yeah right ... it's a constant learning process for the rest of our lives. :) I'm glad we can support each other through it! Love ya girl!
Rachel said…
Man, it's so hard that pregnancy really does CHANGE you: You are not emotionally stable; You start to loose your brain (seriously. Have you noticed yet? I started leaving wallets/keys everywhere, which is totally not like me); and your body gets huge. I feel for you, girl. But know you're not alone. And that eventually you'll be back to your normal, rational self soon enough.

The story was good, though. I'm glad Jeff roles with the punches. That definitely makes it easier when you are having your pregnancy moments.
Ben said…
That totally just made my day--I just about laughed out loud in the library.

Speaking of cooking and food, Catherine and I need to have you and your hubby over for dinner one of these days to--you know--save you from burning yourself :)
Oh Bec! Your Dad now probably wants to fly out there to make his AMAZING breakfast.. when I was reading the post I started to crave his breaksfasts. yum
Also, ziplinging is a blast! We are going to Canada this Winter and are hoping they have one there too.
April J. said…
This is funy now, I know how you feel. And pregnancy is like a magnifying glass on your emotions. I am so glad to hear your pregnancy has been a story book experience. It will be one lucky Score!
Greg and Alyssa said…
Oh man. You will have a million awesome stories like this before your little baby is finally here. But you are not alone. I broke down in tears in WALMART one day because Greg squeezed my hand too hard and my wedding ring pinched my finger. I knew it was crazy. I knew he didn't do it on purpose. I knew it didn't even hurt that bad. I literally could not force myself to stop crying. People stared and I had to just keep walking. That is the curse of hormones. Also I cried every time I craved ice cream and we didn't have any. It only gets worse. Sorry to tell you haha. Love you Becca, you'll be ok!!!!!!
Rica said…
Your dad's breakfast is one of the best! Especially when you're up at camp and everything tastes 10 times as good :)

I'm so glad things are going well for you guys! Becca, you're awesome!
wow- i have way too many of those stories to even begin writing about them! It happens to us all (i think:) ) Anyway, congrats on the boy! You will love having a little boy!

-Marissa
Amber said…
Becca I absolutely loved this post because I had almost and exact experience just last week while making dinner (just wait until you have a baby crying at your feet the whole time you cook :) Oh the joys!) I am so excited for you to get a baby boy! Thanks for all of your nice comments on my blog, and thank you for your willingness to stand up for what is right. You are a great person.

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...