Skip to main content

I'm On My Soap Box and I Want to Shout to the World!

So this years election has got me thinking quite a bit, as I'm sure it has for a lot of people. I wish I was better with words, to express all the things that I feel and think, but hopefully I can get my point across. So Proposition 8 . . . a sensitive subject indeed. I have struggled a great deal with so many friends comments and arguments regarding the proposition. It seems so many if not all feel it is just a matter of rights and how wrong they are. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it is true. Proposition 8 will not give anymore rights, in fact if anything it will be taking away rights. You see, currently Civil Unions receive the exact same rights/benefits as a married couple, the only difference is it is not called marriage. Marriage is defined as a man and a woman, husband and wife, beyond the definition there is no difference in rights (If you cant tell, this is the stuff I'm not good at explaining).
Now, on the other hand, if prop 8 fails there will be more consequences then anyone can even comprehend. Having studied Family, Home, and Social Sciences I have learned a great deal that the majority of the population does not know or understand, and this is what I want to shout from the mountain top. I have studied the family in every situation: Married, Divorced, Widowed, Single mothers, Single fathers, Gays, and Lesbian. In every single situation regarding its effects on individuals, children, the family as a whole, and society the one that has the most benefits to all is Marriage defined as husband and wife. Children NEED both a mother and a father. Both provide different things regarding development that are crucial for development. Gender is an essential characteristic. God made men and women different for a reason and they compliment each other. Each has strengths where the other has weaknesses. This is why it is the ideal situation for families, especially when children are involved. Now, I'm not meaning this to be an attack on anyone but if you haven't noticed, ever since the disintegration of the family has started things in society have gone down hill.
In my personal opinion it all started with No-Fault Divorce. Now I'm not saying that there are not situations where divorce is appropriate, but guaranteed the large majority of divorces that occur in the United States today our the result of selfishness on one or both parties. People too often go into marriage thinking it is bliss 100% of the time. Yes, marriage is WONDERFUL and also reaps more benefits than most people realize; however it does a lot of take work.
Once again, this is all not coming out quite like I had hoped, but hopefully some of what I'm saying is making sense. I have learned so much about the family and society, and I honestly know that if prop 8 fails it will have a much greater impact than we can understand. It is not something that can be measured, nor will its effect be immediate, but they will be big. I wish I could better share what I know this is not just about rights, it is not just about morality, or even revelation. Studies have been done and are continuing to be done and the same thing has been proven time and time again. The fundamental unit of society is the family. It always has been, and I pray that it always will be. A little while ago I memorized The Family: A Proclamation to the World. It was one of the greatest experiences I have had. It gave me the opportunity to truly ponder on the words in the document. Ever since then I think about random phrases every once and while. The one that has been in my head as of late states "the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets." I see this already happening, and I am honestly scarred for what the future holds. It has especially been on my mind as I am now starting to bring my own children into the world, what kind of a society do I want to raise my child in? I feel like so many lack values. What happened to the days where sexual relations only occurred within the bonds of marriage. Sex has become such a loose thing both in the media and in real life and it truly breaks my hart, especially because children result from the actions. I honestly believe that EVERY child deserves to be born to parents who are married and honor their vows. Why would you want anything less?
Once again, I hope this is not offensive to anyone, I do not mean it to be. There are good things that come from every type of family, and of course people do thrive in a wide variety of situations. And I of course have dear friends and loved ones that have same gender attraction. I love them and I do want them to be happy, but as said earlier, this is not about rights which is what so many people seemed to be focused on. I will stop my rambling now, since I feel as though I'm just saying the same things over and over again.
I'm sorry for my rambling, but it is such a sensitive subject to me and I care so deeply about it. Below I have inserted a copy of the proclamation. If you have read it, read it again and truly think about the powerful statements in there. Apply the principles to your life and watch the positive results that come as you make the valiant effort to strengthen your family. If you have never read it, I encourage you to read it and truly ponder about what is said. I know without a shadow of a doubt that every single word is true and that the disintegration of the family will indeed bring upon our society calamities. What they will be I am not sure, but they will happen. I pray that we will all do what we can to support and strengthen the family. Do all you can for your individual families as well as to help other families in the community in all their varieties.


THE FAMILY: A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD

THE FIRST PRESIDENCY AND COUNCIL OF THE TWELVE APOSTLES OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

WE THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
ALL HUMAN BEINGS-male and female-are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.
IN THE PREMORTAL REALM, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshiped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize his or her divine destiny as an heir of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.
THE FIRST COMMANDMENT that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.
WE DECLARE the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan.
HUSBAND AND WIFE have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives-mothers and fathers-will be held accountable before God and for the discharge of these obligations.
THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor martial vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriage and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.
WE WARN that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.
WE CALL UPON responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

Comments

Greg and Alyssa said…
Hey Becca. That was great. I just wanted to thank you for expressing your views on the issue in such a loving and kind way. I am torn on proposition 8 and I disagree with a few factual things you mentioned, but at this point I am really just glad to see members of the church expressing their support of this issue in a positive and understanding way. I have seen a lot of people (including a family member who is also a former bishop who referred to gay people as "fags" in my house a few days ago) taking this issue to such extremes and it has made me SO angry! I'm not always great at expressing myself lovingly, but the EXTREME negativity has done nothing but fuel my anger against certain members of the church. The leaders emphasized love and understanding but it seems like a lot of people missed that point. Thank you for taking it to heart.
I heard myself say uh huh, yep, thats right through your entire post. Thank you for writing it and giving me and everyone who comes and enjoys your blog a chance to read it. xoxox
sita325 said…
oh man rebecca- i am so glad i found your blog (through jennifer's). today i was watching a video of elder bednar, and i was holding my 5-month old and just started crying. i totally know what you're talking about when you mentioned bringing your children into this world. it makes me so nervous. it is absolutely wonderful, but i am really scared of things to come. i know heavenly father will take care of us as long as we do what is right and have faith in him. thank you for that beautiful post.

.. oh, btw, you are so beautiful pregnant!! :) it is soooo much fun. birth is amazing as well.

.. anyway, thanks again, i will be an avid reader of your post to see how you are doing! ;)
sita325 said…
sorry, i was feeding the baby when i posted that, maybe i should clarify- i was watching a video of elder bednar taking questions from young members about prop 8 and explaining the consequences, etc.

also, i meant to say that giving birth is amazing too, lol.

oh- and this is leah btw, arnold. :)
Nicole said…
That was amazing. Well said! And your pregnant belly is looking soooo cute!
Drew said…
I am really glad I followed the link on your facebook status. This is a brilliant post. Thank you for your courage and standing up for the right. A lot of people, yes, even LDS, are either afraid or in disagreement and as such are unwilling to take a stand for truth and righteousness. You made so many great points, but I will just leave it at that!

Thank you!
April J. said…
That is a great post. Shout it out!
3P said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
3P said…
It's nice to see people posting their opinions on Proposition 8 on the web.

I would hesitate to blame the brunt of the problems we know have with gay marriage on no-fault divorce. Having dealt closely with the issue, divorce for the wrong reasons weakens marriage, but I don't think divorce in and of itself has weakened marriage. If anything, it may have strengthened it by allowing abusive or damaging relationships to be terminated.

Here's hoping 8 passes.
Rebecca & Jeff said…
Thank you all so much for your comments. In regards to the last comment, I in no way ment to say that the issues we have on gay marriage have anything to do with no fault divorce. I dont think they have anything to do with each other. That was a completely separate side note. Sorry for the confusion. My mind wonders in many directions at once and I got off on a side note. Thanks!
Unknown said…
"Once again, I hope this is not offensive to anyone, I do not mean it to be."

Well it is.

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...