Skip to main content

It's still called camping if it is in the back yard right?

The hubs gets a four day weekend when Labor day rolls around.  I knew we had to make the most of it so I tried to cram in as much family fun as I could.  I have been wanting to go camping as a family since... before I was married.  I know it sounds silly, but some of my best memories as a kid were on our family camping trips.  I loved them and really want to do them with our family too.  Unfortunately in the past (almost) 6 years we have only gone 3 times.  Two of those time were in a backyard.  We think about going quite frequently but by the time we actually look into it everything is booked.  Including this past Labor Day weekend.  I still really wanted to do something that would be memorable so I called up the in-laws and asked if we could camp-out in their backyard.  You may be wondering why not just go in our own back yard.  Well, you see, I have ALWAYS wanted to spend the night on a trampoline and they happen to have one and we do not.  So this whole thing was about fulfilling a childhood fantasy I guess.  haha.  Well, even if it was, the hubs and the in-laws both indulged me.  :)



We packed up our tent, grabbed our sleeping bags, blew up the mattresses, and gathered supplies for s'mores.  The weather over the weekend was amazing UNTIL that night.  The wind was so strong I seriously thought we were going to blow away.  In fact the tent did blow away at one point as we were setting it up.  Thank goodness for stakes.  We got all set up just before it started getting dark. We had borrowed an outdoor fire pit from my parents so we could at least still have a real fire and s'mores but it was so windy every time we light the fire it blew right out.  It was intense.  I was bummed but thanks to the oven we were still able to have s'mores.  

All ready!

We enjoyed our s'mores and visiting with grandma and grandpa.  Then we got in our PJs and headed out to read books and make shadow puppets.  Unfortunately neither Jeff or I could make any despite our best efforts.  We had fun just laying in there together and being silly.  Jeff and I then headed over to the tramp for the night.  It was seriously freezing, thank goodness for my mummy bag.  I seriously had a blast sleeping on the tramp.  Jeff and I were able to chat, laugh, and just enjoy being together.  And the trampoline was awesome for me because any time Jeff started dozing off I would just start bouncing.  haha.  Luckily he was a good sport and I did eventually let him go to sleep.
Em was so excited she brought Tigger to camp with her.
The kids did pretty well.  At the time P was having nightmares every once in a while and he had one that night so at about 3 we ended up going in the tent with them. The sleep was not so great from that point on with the four of us in a two person tent.  We woke up to bacon and pancakes courtesy of grandpa. At this point we really can't call it camping, but I still am.  I'm really glad we did it.  It was so much fun and the kids loved it.  We'll have to do it again some time.  Maybe we'll even try the real thing someday.  :)

Comments

Rachel Wilson said…
Backyard camping is the best! This looks like so much fun!
Hillary said…
We should go backyard camping together!

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...