Today was my last day hosting for the year. So bitter sweet. I am amazed at how much these kids have learned this year! They really are such smart cookies. I have loved watching them learn and discover new things. I am already excited for next year!
Binders
We started out with our writing as usual. I asked the kids if they could find the U page all by themselves and they were having a hard time (mostly out of impatience) and one of them started singing the ABC's to remember where in the alphabet it was. Then they found it no problem. U is a pretty easy letter to write and the kids did it so well! I even had a few of them write it not tracing and they did great!
Color by Numbers
I had never done this with the kids before, but found it and thought it would be a great new thing to try. I gave each kid their own paper and their own set of crayons. I had to do a little explaining, but after they caught on, they did so great! They even helped each other when one got stuck. These kids are such great friends!
Before & After
Circle Time
- First we sang our ABC's. They sure do sing it loud and proud now.
- Then we did a shape matching game I had on the chalk board. I gave each kid the other half to these little umbrellas and each had a different shape. When it was their turn I asked them to stand up, show everyone what shape they had and tell us what shape it was. They had no problem matching the right ones, but had a tricky time remembering the names of Rectangle & Triangle.
Calender
We talked about how today was the last day of the month and how tomorrow will be February. I showed them on the calender and then we talked a little about what things happen in February. Then I pointed to today on the calender and asked them if they knew what number it was assuming they would just say 3-1 but Parker shouted thirty one! I was so impressed. Then we all counted together to 31 and they each got to put a sticker on today.
Up & Under Game
I saw an idea online to do up and under actions. So we played a game kind of like Simon Says but all the actions were either Up or Under. For example: Put your fingers up, put your hand under your foot, climb under the table, etc. They loved it! Laughing along with each one.
Dance around the Umbrella
I found another idea that was a song about dancing around the umbrella. Each kid got a card with an object that started with U. We took turns putting the objects in the upside-down umbrella and then sang the next verse as we danced around the umbrella to this little song I found here. I wasn't sure how they would like it, but they actually loved it and were sad when we ran out of cards.
LET’S DANCE “ROUND THE UMBRELLA"
Tune: “Mulberry Bush”
Let’s dance ‘round the umbrella,
The umbrella, the umbrella
Let’s dance ‘round the umbrella
And toss in U words.
Example:
“I will add an undershirt,
Undershirt, undershirt.
I will add an undershirt
To the um-brell-a.
Additional Picture Card Words
Umpire
Ukulele
Umbrella
Unicorn
Up
Unhappy
Unicycle
Universe
Letter U Song
I decided to keep with my past letters and include the Letter Song since they always love it. Here they are dancing. They say the letter sound, draw the letter in the air, and hear things that start with that letter. It was a hit as usual.
Snacks & Stories
I normally get a lot of stories in during snack time, but today they ate super quick. They were more interested in playing outside then eating today.
Science Project
I found this fun science project that had to do with blowing up a balloon using a water bottle, baking soda, & vinegar. The kids thought it was so cool. Then I tied it off and blew up another balloon regularly. Then we tested the balloons to see which one fell faster. The CO2 fell much faster than the regular one. The kids thought it was neat and each wanted a turn dropping the balloons.
Then we went in the other room and played a game where we had to keep the balloon up.
Always a blast!
Umbrella Craft
This was a combo of a couple of crafts I found. Started with an umbrella puzzle. They had to glue the pieces into place. Then I gave each of them a straw and put some watered-down pain on the top of the umbrella and the kids got to blow it with a straw. It was supposed to look like water dropping off the umbrella. The first few were a little too watery and the last few a little too thick. It was a learning experience for me too. :) But they still had fun and it was something we have never done before.
Before
Some of them did actually turn out pretty cool but I forgot to take a picture of the finished products.
The kids played outside for a more minutes while I cleaned up.
Stories
We still had about 20 minutes left and I was bummed we kinda skipped stories so I called out to the kids saying it was story time and to my surprise they came running. They all sat quietly on the coach for 20 minutes worth of stories. Right as I finished the last one there was a knock on the door, perfect timing!
They kids were great as always. I am excited for our new adventures that are ahead but I am going to miss being such a huge part of their learning. I am already looking forward to next year!
And for mine and your future reference here are a few of my favorite sites to find things for Preschool.
Preschool Express, Education.com, Imagination Express Preschool, Everything Preschool, Confession of a Slacker Mom











Comments