So we had another AWESOME FHE the other day.
It was all about missionary work.
It just happened to be perfect timing since the day before was a missionaries farewell so the concept was fresh in the kids brains.
I started off the lesson by asking the kids why they liked going to church.
Em said because of the crafts and songs they sang.
Then P blew me away by saying it was because he loved Jesus.
Seriously melted my heart!
It also led right into the next part where I showed them a picture of the Savior and told them how blessed we were that we knew who He was. And that there are so many people in the world who do not. That is why we have missionaries.
I then showed them a map of the world and talked about how there are people all over the whole world. I then started bringing up Jeff's mission. I had called Jeff right before FHE and told him how sad I was that he couldn't be here for this FHE. He asked me to leave everything out and he could talk to the kids about it another day. I was happy that he wanted to do and thought it would make for a great follow up of the lesson. A few minutes after I started talking about how daddy served a mission the garage door started to open and he was home! I was so excited!
We asked him questions like why he wanted to serve, how he felt when he got his call, what the mission was like, and so on. We then asked him to bear his testimony on Portuguese. It was such a tender moment in our home. The spirit was so strong and I just LOVED that Jeff was able to be there. We asked the kids what words they understood from his testimony and they actually got a lot! They were really attentive to everything he said. Such a special night!
I then gave each member of our family a mission call to open. There was a fun website that will pick a location at random for you. I wrote a letter for each person saying where they were going, what language, what kinds of foods they would eat, and what kinds of things they would see. We looked up all the locations on the map so they could see. P was also called to Brazil, just like daddy! And Em was called to Orlando Florida. I don't remember were the grandparents were called, I think one set to So. CA, the other to Indiana, and GG was called to Peru. Here they are excited about their calls to serve.
I even gave them each little Future Missionary name tags.
They loved this lesson and payed attention the whole time even though it was one of the longest lessons we have had. Having daddy there really helped and made it such a special night. The kids talked about it for DAYS. Whenever a friend came over they would say, "Did you know my daddy went on a mission!" It was the cutest thing!
I hope they keep this love of the gospel and the desire to spread the good news, for the blessings it brings are countless.
I LOVE FHE!
p.s. got the entire lesson plan from A Year of FHE



Comments