So as you probably know, I took some cake decorating courses this summer and LOVED it! It was so fun. Since then, I have kind of been obsessed with cake. Anytime I see a new fun pan I want it! I have been really good up until now about refraining from buying any, but we really did need this one. Not to mention, I had a 50% coupon, so I only paid about $6 for it.
Since I was so excited about it, I wanted to try it out. Jeff and I put together a little game night for the soul purpose of making and sharing this cake. (I'm sure Jeff would have been happy to have it to ourselves, but with all the Easter candy we have sitting around I decided that wasn't such a good idea.
So one evening, after P went to bed I made the cake part, which I quickly found out was the hard part! This is what the cake is supposed to look like after it is baked:

Now I followed all of the directions to a T but needless to say it looked NOTHING like this when we cut it open. I was going to take a picture to document it, but it really just made me sad. There were challenges I was not expecting as I poured the batter, so next time I will need a little assistance from the hubs.
The cake still tasted great! I just didn't look quite as cool as I was hoping. I did use this cake to practice some of my pipping skills and again, it really did not come out at all like I had hoped. I got kind of depressed when I was done. It really just looked sloppy and ugly. I was starting to think I wasn't cut out for this cake decorating thing. I got online and watched a few videos on cake decorating and decided that my problem was that I skip a bunch of little steps that I didn't think were worth my time. With a child, dedicating time completely to a cake cannot happen unless he is asleep or someone else is watching him which is why I always skip the steps I didn't think were important. So, with my next cake I will be more patient and hopefully that will help. So here is the picture of the finished product:
Definitely not my favorite or my best, but at least I got some good practice in. Jeff thinks it looks like a pattern you would find on your great grandmothers furniture, lol. That wasn't really what came to my mind, but whatever. Jeff is also eager for me to try the checkerboard again, mostly just because he wants more cake. Hopefully attempt number 2 will work a little better. If you have made one and have some tips for me, that would be GREATLY appreciated. It turned out more of a marble cake, than checkerboard. Also, if you are interested in tasting attempt number two, let me know. We always love company and we REALLY don't need that much cake. :)

Comments