Skip to main content

Learning to Swim

The kids got to take swim lessons for the first time this year.  An awesome girl in a neighboring ward does private lessons in her backyard for a steal of a deal so I signed both kids up.  At first they were a little apprehensive, but after just a few minutes in the water they loved it!  It was so fun to watch them learn and improve throughout the week.  I was hoping they would get their heads wet by the end of the week, but they were both pretty stubborn about it.

P did a great job!  He was so funny to watch because he rarely talked but had a huge smile on his face the whole time.  He really learned how to do big arms and big legs and loved using his ice cream scoop hands.

Watching, cheering and waiting patiently for each other

Em did great too.  She cracked me up because anytime she would focus hard her little tongue popped out.  She took a few more risks than P did.  She jumped off the edge a few times, blew lots of bubbles and even played motorboat a couple of times.  She especially loved blowing bubbles & putting her cheeks in the water.  And anytime the teacher asked her to swim to her she stuck out her hands and said, "that's not that far." She really did great!


Well, except for the day she tried to do it all on her own and I had to jump in after her clothes and all.  The kids were up playing in the little hot tub.  I knew the minute I saw them go up there that I should go too, but alas I decided to stay down and chat with my friend instead.  One time I looked up and Em was no longer on the step, but instead in the middle of the hot tub where she could not reach.  All I could see was the top of her head bobbing in the water.  I ran up the stairs and jumped in as fast as I could.  To my surprise she was not choking or gasping for air at all.  She just looked at me, took a breath and started to cry.  It was obvious that she was trying her best to paddle and kick and just couldn't do it.  The poor thing.  I told her that she did such a great job and that I could see her kicking and reaffirmed that she was OK and amazingly she was not traumatized and still went through with her swim lesson a few minutes later.  What a trooper!  I'm still not quite sure how she got into the middle, weather she thought she could swim across on her own, or if one of the boys accidentally bumped her, or if she just accidentally stepped off... not clue.  But I am relieved that she is OK.  I'm sure I was quite the sight waddle-running my massive body as fast as I could to her.

Overall, it was an awesome week and they did make some big improvements in their swimming and had tons of fun too.  Em was truly depressed when they were over and kept asking to go back one more time.  Hopefully we can do it again next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...