Skip to main content

Book Review 2013

So as you may or may not know I kind of head up a little book club in the area.  I joined when we first moved here mainly because I needed something for me.  Having never read a book for fun it came as a shock to a lot of people, including myself, but I absolutely LOVED it!  I loved getting my brain out of mommy mode and back into learning.  I loved having grown-up conversations.  I loved how it made me closer friends to lots of people.  I love how it has turned into a once a month girls night that lasts until the wee hours of the morning.  And I LOVE the books I have discovered because of it!

ANYWAY... here is my book list of 2013.  My goal is one book a month, some months I do better than others, but it did average out to 1 a month.  I wish I would have written my reviews as I read each book, but alas I did not, so we'll see how well I can remember.

This book was so different but I truly enjoyed it.  It was about this woman who's husband spent most of their money on alcohol and so she would enter these word contests to help provide for her family.  It is a true story written by her daughter.  She is such a witty lady and the things she was able to do for her family a midst the struggles at home were so inspiring.

Love, love, LOVED this book!!!  In fact we all did!  One of the girls promptly went out and bought the second book which we all passed around in what seemed like a few days and we are now anxiously awaiting the third and last book which is due to come out this March!  Hip Hip!!

This trilogy is kinda like hunger games meets the bachelor.  Sounds crazy I know.  It is about this country that is divided into these different casts and all the eligible girls are entered into this Selection.  They randomly pick ... i think 25 girls who then move to the palace.  One of these girls will be chosen to marry the prince.  OK, so I'm horrible at describing it, but seriously, if you are looking for a fun story, READ THIS!  I'm not joking when I say ALL OF US LOVED IT!  Book 1 is the selection and narrowing down the first bit, the second book is the Elite and I think it was down to 8... I honestly don't remember.  Go read it and then refresh my memory before book three comes out.  ;)


This book was AMAZING!  What a story.  I feel so naive and like I live is such a perfect little world.  This is about the Holocaust that happened in Rwanda NOT THAT LONG AGO.  I mean really.  An amazing TRUE story about how she survived, found God, and was able to forgive those who killed her family.  This book is intense, I'm not gonna lie.  I mean it is about a Holocaust for goodness sake, but not for the faint of heart.  But I would HIGHLY recommend this book.

This book was fun and interesting.  Married White Female seeking BFF.  I felt like I could relate to a lot of what she talked about.  She is funny and real and I think we all really enjoyed this book.

Love this story, disliked the book.  Another true story.  This girl is seriously incredible but the book was written when she was 15 and the story comes out exactly like that.  That being said, it is a SUPER easy read and also inspiring, but if I were you I'd just go watch the movie, I think it captured most of the story very accurately.


This was another one we were read the first book for book club and then immediately got the second book and passed it around as fast as we could.  And then the third book came out and we did it again!  I actually am not don't with the 3rd book yet, Christmas and what not got in the way but I am so anxious to pick up right where I left off and finish off this trilogy.  I don't really know how to explain this book, except by saying if you liked hunger games then you will LOVE these.  The Characters are more developed, the story is more complex, there is just more depth to it but it still is very exciting.  This is also written from a young girls perspective.  Yeah, I cant explain it.  Just go read it!

Last year we did one parenting book and it was actually one of our greatest turnouts and one of our greatest discussions so we thought we'd do it again.  We had all heard good things about this book but when it came to us reading it none of us loved it.  In fact, I don't think any of us actually made it through the whole thing.  i didn't like their voice in this.  I felt it was extra wordy and written more like they were writing to a child than the parent.  Just dumbed down, slow, and repetitive.  I appreciated their points, but I felt like they must be a better way to deliver them.  I feel like Entitlement is an important subject and I was anxious to learn and improve my parenting but this was not the book for me to do that with.

This was the last book of the year and it did not disappoint!  I seriously LOVED this book!  Another true story and it was SO inspiring!  I just might buy this one which is saying something because I do not buy books for myself.  Seriously, go read it!

Another great year of reading down.  I'm so grateful my friends invited and encouraged me to join.  It has not only been fun, inspiring, and educational, but it has been so good for ME.  I am greatly looking forward to this year's reads.  It is going to be wonderful! Let me know if you want to be added to the email list, the more the merrier!  :)  We really know how to have a good time.

If your interested here are my 2011 book list & 2012 Book List

What was your favorite book of 2013?

Any Recommendations?

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...