Skip to main content

All Things Halloween

Ward Party
I love the idea of themed Halloween costumes.  We have done it the past couple of years with Old McDonald & his chick, Peter Pan, Wendy & Tinker Bell, and Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, and Mother Gothel.  The kids loved it and I loved being a part of it with them (we always tried to pull something together for Jeff too but it never ends up working out).  This year were originally planning on being the Incredibles since our family was the perfect size.  The kids were super excited about it but then we found out one of our good friends were planning on being the same thing and had already started on the costumes.  So instead we decided to be a Clown family and I actually LOVE how it all turned out. Jeff was the best!  He even had a trick flower and totally got some people.  It was so fun!  I'm only bummed that we did not get a family shot or a shot of Parker with all his stuff on.  O-well.  He actually was quite the sad clown all night. 

Anyway, the ward party was a blast as usual!  We had  a chili cook-off and I actually had to be a judge.  It was hard and scary and yummy and nasty all at the same kind.  You never know what people put in chili.  But there were some great contenders and it was fun to be a part of it.  They had a few activities for the kids, but our kids were just kinda in a funk.  Some days no naps are just killer.  The kids were excited when it was finally time for the Trunk-or-Treat.  They were a decent number of cars and the kids could go around until the candy was gone.  Our kids only wanted to go around once and that was totally fine with me!  We were also told the our kids were some of the few kids that actually said "trick or treat" and "thank you."  That made me one very proud mama!  This night certainly had its ups and downs in emotions but they got to end the day with a sucker so at least we ended on a good note.  

Preschool Party
This year the Preschool party fell on my week hosting.  I had fun planning a little carnival type preschool party and tried to toss in a little bit of educational stuff too.  All the kids came dressed up which is always fun.  Each parent brought a game to play.  We had every thing from Pin the Tail on the Kitty to a Spider Toss.  We even got to eat yummy treats.  It was such a fun day!

Carving pumpkins
So I'm the only one who like carving pumpkins.  The kids love HAVING a carved pumpkin, they just don't like touching the gunk.  Lucky for them I think it is awesome and I don't mind doing all the work.  I just let them pick out a face and then do my best to replicate it.  I did make them this little felt Build-a-Jack-o-Lantern which they had fun with.  They loved making silly ones.  I'm so glad I did this, a perfect Halloween quiet time activity that they loved!

Since I knew the kids didn't like touching the gunk I let them paint their own little pumpkins.  I also found these awesome inserts at the dollar store that allowed them to spice up their pumpkins a little bit.  I think they came out so great!  And I must say... I'm pretty proud of mine too.  :)

When I was looking for fun educational pumpkin ideas I saw this idea to make a pumpkin puzzle.  It was a hit!  And actually kinda tricky.  There is also an alphabet pumpkin hiding in this picture that you can use for all kinds of activities.  I will definitely be doing both of these again next year!

One day the kids saw that I could turn them into a vampire and a witch and asked me to so I did... it is actually kinda freaky! HAHA, but they loved it!

Pumpkin Patch
After music time one day we decided to go to the pumpkin patch with some friends.  We love this free little patch that is just in the next town over.  They always have tons of pumpkins, a few animals, milking cows (fake ones of course), and a little hay maze that the kids just cannot get enough of.  We had a great time and as always, it is so much more fun with friends!

It was also Riley's first trip to the pumpkin patch so we had to document it of course!

Playing Dress Up
So one day the kids saw a picture of one of their best friends with their face painted.  So of course they asked if we could paint our faces.  Luckily, I found these awesome crayon shaped face paint and we went to town!  At first we were pirates, and then they wanted to be clowns which then resulted in Pirate Clowns which turns out can be cute and scary.  Also, this is what happens when you let your children draw on your face.  It was such a fun afternoon!
We ended up spending most of the month in costumes which was a blast as well.  It makes me wish I had a costume chest so they could do this every day.  Aren't they so cute!  Em and Cinderella just about kills me. She would make the perfect Cinderella! These kids sure love playing dress-up!

Halloween
On actual Halloween I tried to be a fun mom and make Halloween themed pancakes... FAIL!
Lucky for me the kids have a VERY good imagination so they totally saw what I was going for.  Believe it or not the above picture features pumpkins, spiders, bats and ghosts.  Here's to trying!  
Here are the kids all dressed and ready to go.  Em is too adorable for words in these pictures!  When she wants to be she can be quite the little poser.  P was not a fan of his mask, so I think this is my only picture of him with it on.  Grandma and Grandpa P randomly got Em this costume when they were on a trip to Utah.  Then we happened to go to Costco with them one day and they let Parker pick out a costume too.  The kids were very excited about them!  Riley recycled Em's costume from 3 years ago and is the cutest little chick that I ever did see!
 We started our trick or treating a little early because we like to stop by all the grandparents and great grandparents homes before we start the door to door business.  We loved seeing our families a they got a kick out of seeing the kids.  We are so lucky to live so close to so much family!
Jeff had to work late that night and I didn't feel comfortable taking the kids out alone so we decided to meet up with some friends.  We were originally going to go with some kids from the ward and try out Trick-or-Treating store to store at the Walnut Creek mall.  Unfortunately by the time we finished with the family they were already out candy so we called up our besties to see if we could go with them again this year.  We went to the same neighborhood as last year and the kids had a blast!  We got home just after Dad did and he was able to take the kids to a few of our neighbors which was fun for them.


They both got an absurd amount of candy.  We still have TONS left in fact.  I'm kinda the worst and never let them have any... only special occasions, or maybe if they give service without being asked. O-well, it is better that way.  What do you do with all your Halloween candy?  I mean really... who invented this holiday?  They clearly never had to deal with children on sugar highs.

Anyway, we clearly had a blast this Halloween and truly celebrated ALL MONTH LONG!
Holidays with kids is so much fun!!

Hope you had a fabulous Halloween too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...