Weird.
Can you believe it? I sure cant. I'm pretty sure I blinked and 2011 was gone. It was filled with lots of good times. Hopefully I'll do an awesome year in review post, but before that I need to blog about all of our awesome holiday shenanigans.
But first I want to talk about goals or rather resolutions.
Did you know there is a pretty big difference between the two? I never really thought about it until this year. Here are their definitions thanks to Dictionary.com
Goal:the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
Resolution: a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
With Resolve meaning: to come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine (to do something): I have resolved that I shall live to the full. or to convert or transform by any process
See the difference?
Even their synonyms are totally different.
Goal: target; purpose, object, objective, intent, intention.
Resolution: resolve, determination, perseverance, tenacity; strength, fortitude.
If this is the case, and it is, they are two totally different things.
This time of year people are always making New Years Resolution. For me... I've always thought about it, but nothing more then that. For me I have just thought about the goals I always have. IE: Really Study the Scriptures daily, pray more often, eat better, exercise more, give more service, etc. etc. I really could go on and on. My brain thinks about these "goals" all the time. There is ALWAYS something to do better and ALWAYS ways I should be better.
Well this year, after thinking about what resolution really means I have decided to make some. Just as the synonym states they are going to take a lot of determination, perseverance, strength and fortitude in order truly resolve or transform into this new way of living. In a way I guess you could even call it a true change of heart. And just like the definition states it is going to be a process in order to truly resolve.
So what are these resolutions I have made for myself you ask...
More fervently study the scriptures on a daily basis.
Hold a meaningful, and planned Family Home Evening EVERY WEEK!
Read the scriptures with my children.
Now you might have noticed these are things have been goals in the past. The difference is I have altered my lifestyle and created a process so that I can do these things and then I actually do them.
Why these?
Isn't it so weird that the most simple commandments are the hardest to incorporate. But as I had a discussion with the hubs tonight, it is not like I am doing anything bad or wrong. But it comes back to the good, better, best thing. My life is filled with a million things that are good, but how often am I choosing to fill it with the best things? I can justify my time on pinterest in a million different ways: improving my kids education, making my house a home, improving my cooking, organizing, and cleaning skills, finding more ways to show love and service to those around me... but really is that little ABC activity or the new v-day craft going to be as good for my kids as sitting down and reading the scriptures with them, no way. Now obviously there is enough time in the day to do both and more but what it really comes down to is priorities. What is most important and how do I make sure I get that in.
So here they are again in more detail.
More fervently study the scriptures on a daily basis.
I got a handout from our RS a few weeks ago that had a chart that told you how to read the ENTIRE standard works in one year. Yes I am talking Book of Mormon, Old Testament, New Testament, Doctrine& Covenants, even JSH and the articles of faith. When I first saw it I kind of chuckled to myself and then said "Yeah Right!" But as it sat on the table for a few days, I kept thinking about it and thinking how I don't even think I have read the entire standard works (never the OT, only specific stories). One night I asked Jeff is he had seen it and he said he had and that he was thinking of doing it. Sweet! I said me too! So we decided to do it together, we are reading the ENTIRE standard works this year! Can I tell you how after only 8 days of doing this I feel so richly blessed. We have generally been pretty good about reading scriptures together at night, but this time we are actually studying and asking question and looking up words. It is awesome! I am loving it! (If you want to do it too, I'll send you a copy)
Hold a meaningful, and planned Family Home Evening EVERY WEEK!
Why is FHE so hard? Lets see, last week I was so excited about it because I had found this awesome blog, A Year of FHE. She literally has lesson every week for an entire year. And not just lessons, Scriptures, Activities, and even treats! Not only that, she has them broken down by theme for each month and even has a song of the month to learn and sing. I have known about this blog for a while, but finally resolved to put it into action. I mean, all the prep work is done, I'll I have to do is print and do it. So back to last week, I'm super excitedperseverance and so I continued. Who knows what they got out of it, maybe nothing, maybe more then I think. But we had FHE, they knew it was FHE, and they apparently had a good time. So maybe it didn't go like I had planned, but I doubt that it ever will, but I just need to keep doing it and I know it will bless all of us.
Also, since it is officially busy season and i used to use that as an excuse for not to do FHE since Jeff was never home. I felt so weird doing it by myself, probably because I am at home by myself teaching my kids all day so it didn't seem any different. Well this year I am starting "Extended Family Home Evening." I got the idea when I was in school a few years back and since we are lucky enough to live close to all of our grand and great-grandparents we are doing it. I think it is good and memorable to have spiritual experiences with extended family. I know the kids will LOVE it. I still need to figure out how exactly I'm going to implement it, but the grandparents seem excited about it. I think it is going to be awesome!
Read the scriptures with my children.
In the past our family scripture study has mostly included church related board books or the gospel art manual telling a story as they looked at the picture. That is all fine and dandy, but I felt the need to actually READ the scriptures with them. I know they are only 1 and 2, which is exactly what was keeping me from doing it. Then in church the other day, a woman shared an example of how they read the scriptures as a family. Each family member including the tots would read one verse. Sure it took them a couple of years to get through the Book of Mormon, but guess what, they did it. And it also taught their kids to read at a very young age. I thought this was an awesome idea. My kids love books. They memorize every book I read them and soon are "reading" right along with me so I knew they could do this. So for the past 8 days we have read as a family. I wish I could describe how adorable Em's little voice is as she repeats after me. Again there was one night when Jeff wasn't home yet and they were running circles around me. Again I wanted to just forget it for that night, but persevered and we got through the 4 verses which seemed more like 4 chapters to me. lol. But we are doing it, and that is what matters!
Again, it has only been 8 days but I have already felt a change.
I feel the spirit more.
I feel more love for my husband.
I feel more love for my children.
I feel more love for my Savior.
I feel strong.
I feel excited.
And to be honest I feel proud. I has been hard. Like I mentioned I have already had times where I wanted to give up, but I didn't and that is why I am proud. The next few months will be especially hard as I wont have the hubs by my side but I know it is what Heavenly Father wants me to do and as we read in 1 Nephi 17:3 tonight:
"And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them."
I love this scripture and I know it is true. As I try to do these things I will be able to and that makes me excited and happy. We are living in a battlefield and this is the best way I know how to shield my kids from the fiery darts that are coming our way.
Some other thing I am going to try harder at this year are:
- Being a better friend
- Making more and closer friends
- Really Date my husband
- Pray more often
- Pray more fervently
- Magnify my calling
- Keeping in touch
- Giving more
- Wanting less
- Eating better
- Making Freezer meals
- and lots more!
What are your Resolutions or your Goals?
And if you made it through this ridiculously long post, you are rewarded by viewing these pics from our awesome New Year's get together.
We had a few friends over on New Years Eve. It was so fun to talk, laugh, play games, eat food, and drink a little bubbly (martinelli's of course) as we rung in the new year Chicago time. We opted for a kid friendly party this year which turned out to be a blast!
Em slept through all of the major partying but woke up to what was left of the party.
Happy New Year. Make it a good one!


Comments
Thanks!
We have been praying with Carson for a few months now and at first he was really into repeating what we say, but now it's hit or miss. But we still do it. We also got him a little picture-book Bible for Christmas and we've been telling him we're reading the scriptures. But I am glad you pointed out that we can start reading the actual scriptures with them still at this age. I have been scared to start that because it doesn't have anything to keep his attention.
And thanks for clarifying the differences between goals and resolutions. You have a great list of resolutions there. I wish you all the best for 2012. It's gonna be great!