Have I told you about your new Family Home Evening (FHE) approach?
With Jeff's late hours he is not home before bedtime, let alone in time for FHE.
Last year I was pretty discouraged about it and felt that it wasn't really FHE if it was just me and the kids. We said we would do it on Sundays, but that happened maybe twice. I didn't want to do it without him and as a result, we just didn't do it. Awesome... NOT!
So after speaking at a stake fireside (post still to come) on Teaching in the Home, my own words kind of slapped me in the face. We needed to be better.
In April 1999, Elder Hales re-read a letter the First Presidency put out in February of the same year.
"In the letter, the first presidency taught that by teaching and rearing children in the gospel principles, parents can protect their families from corrosive elements. They further counseled parents and children "to give highest priority to family prayer, family home evening, gospel study and instruction, and wholesome family activities. However worthy and appropriate other demands or activities may be, they must not be permitted to displace the divinely-appointed duties that only parents and family can adequately perform. (First Presidency letter, 11 Feb. 1999; cited in Church News, 27 Feb. 1999,3)."
And President Kimball said: "In the past, having family prayer once a day may have been all right. But in the future it will not be enough if we are going to save our families." (lesson 12 of the Strengthening families lesson Manuel)
Aren't those quotes INTENSE!! And guess what ... it is the future!
hose quotes were given a long time ago.
Hence my new years resolutions.
So we needed a new plan. Something that we could make work.
I remembered in one of my classes at BYU someone mentioned having Extended Family Home Evening once a month. Then the thought hit me, we live literally blocks away from our extended family. They are always looking for an excuse to come see the grand kids. Therefore, we now have weekly Extended FHE.
Can I tell you how awesome it has been? It has been CRAZY AWESOME!
It has been so great for the kids. They get so excited to have "2 grandmas, 2 grandpas, and 1 GG" as Parker puts it come over. It has made FHE more successful because it is different, it is special, it is something to look forward to. Not to mention their tiny attention spans. With more of us we can each take a turn talking about something which holds their attention much longer. Which hopefully means they are getting more out of it.
Also, I think it is pretty awesome to have the opportunity to learn the gospel from their grandparents. To hear their testimonies. To sing and learn together. It truly is a wonderful thing and I can already see the blessings that are coming from it.
Like I mentioned before I am using a website called "A Year of FHE"
It is amazing. I love it! She has each month broken down by theme. For example, this month was Families. Week one - Our Heavenly Family, Week two - Our Extended Family, Week three - Our Family, Week Four - Our Ward Family. The song of the month was "Families Can be Together Forever" which my kids now have both verses memorized by the way. There is a song, a scripture, a lesson, an activity and then the song of the month. You can just go and print it and then do it. Seriously, it is amazing and just what we need. I love it! You should really check it out, she is on her third year of doing it. Pretty amazing stuff.
I feel so blessed that our extended family is so willing to do this with us. It has been so fun for all of us, especially the kids. Don't get me wrong, it is still a challenge trying to have a lesson with two toddlers. For example, Em spends the entire lesson climbing on my lap, then onto the coffee table, and then jumps to me or one of the grandpas over and over again. She only does this during the FHE lesson and never any other time or day of the week. And tonight, P was having a tantrum of sorts and was giving me the silent treatment. But we still did it. Hopefully something sank in and if not, we will be blessed for our efforts right?
Anyway, we are on a roll and don't plan on stopping!
I have the best family!
How do you make FHE work in your home? And how are your New Year Resolutions coming?
Comments