Skip to main content

We Believe

I cant stop thinking about the current remarks going on about "Mormons." I am shocked at how uninformed these people are about a religion they talk so freely about. First let me tell you, I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often referred to as Mormons. Please note that our Savior's name is in the title of our religion. We are Christian in every sense of the word. See the dictionary.com definition of Christian below.

Christian
Adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings

2. of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

3. of or pertaining to Christians

4. exhibiting a spirit proper to a follower of Jesus Christ; Christlike

5. decent; respectable

noun
7. a person who believes in Jesus Christ; adherent of Christianity
8. a person who exemplifies his or her life the teachings of Christ

I honestly believe I fit into every single one of those definitions. I have many friends who do not share my faith, but I'm positive they would agree. My religion is my life. It has shaped who I am and influences every decision I make. Everything good in my life is a result of my choice to live the Gospel.

Lately I have been thinking about the Articles of Faith. In fact, I cannot get them out of my head, which is why I am blogging about them. These are the basic principles of our gospel. Please read them. Even if you have read them before, read them again. Even if you are a member, read them again. Read them out loud.

13 Articles of Faith
1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul -- We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I know all these things to be true. I have studied them. I have prayed about them. I have been blessed because of my decision to follow Him, whose church this is.

I love my Savior. I am so grateful for His atoning sacrifice that makes it possible for me to repent and be forgiven of my sins. I am far from perfect, but I am trying everyday to do what He has asked of me. I am doing my best to keep the commandments and endure to the end. I am doing my best to love my neighbor and to serve those around me. I know from experience that as I do these things I will be blessed because He loves me and He wants me to be happy.

I also know that He loves you. We are all children of a loving Heavenly Father.

If you want to know more, visit mormon.org. I am also happy to answer any questions you might have. Mostly, I just want people to be informed about who we are and what we believe.

Comments

Vindie said…
Thank you for posting this! It is good for me to pause and really think about the basis for everything I do! You are a wonderful example of a follower of Christ!
Janneke said…
You're a rock! Love ya tons. Thanks for your shining example.
Ann said…
Well put! You are a wonderful example to me.
Jenny & Tanner said…
I was going to say you rock, but someone already said it. but you do. I loved your post. and p.s. I love your new background picture etc. SO CUTE!
Rachel said…
Well said, my friend. LOVE YOU.

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...