Skip to main content

New Car Seat

(So this actually happened a couple of months ago, I just forgot about it. )

When we went to P's 9 Month check-up we discovered that he was 1 lb and 1/2 inch away from out growing here car seat. I was Shocked! I mean, I knew he was big, but this was supposed to last the first year and that meant 3 more months!

It was time to go home from Christmas break so I frantically started searching for a safe, convertible car seat (one that can go forward & rear facing). It made me stress and car seats are one item I like to research thoroughly in regards to safety. We LOVED his first car seat. Super safe! Super easy to use! It was the best! I hated feeling rushed buying this new one before break, so we decided he could last one more trip in it.

When we got back I did my research and found this Gem:

Happy things about it, it is one of the safest, can hold heavier kids, can hold taller kids, and it was the second cheapest!! :) The reviews were great (I probably read about 50)! Such as "we were in a major car accident and everyone was injured except the baby in this seat". That sounds good enough for me!

It has taken a little while to get the hang of it. And I do miss the convenience of just pulling the whole seat out if P is still asleep, but it is working great! I am especially excited to switch it forward facing in just 3 weeks! YAY!


Here are a couple of Pictures of how much he has grown and why we needed a new seat!

The day we came home from the Hospital

Wow! That doesn't even seem real!
Was he really that small!!

And here he is now, far too big for this car seat!

(Note: you might notice the pattern is different, I forgot to take a picture of him in ours and our friends have the same car seat just different pattern, so we borrowed it for a picture :) Thanks Janneke!)

I Love my little Tank!!
And on a positive note, now I don't have to look for a new one for his birthday!

Comments

Katrina said…
Wow! Isn't it amazing how fast they grow?! What a big boy you are, Parker! :) Glad you found a seat you love! (and wasn't too expensive!)

And your prego pics are way cute! Isn't it interesting how different you can carry your babies? Kamryn was MUCH higher in me than this little guy! He is SOOO much lower! They say that you can't really tell differences with gender in pregnancies...but I don't know if I totally agree! :0) haha lol
Loving Our Life said…
Both my kids were out of the infant seats at 6 and 9mo. It's crazy how fast they grow. Just a little FYI. Even though it is legal to switch them to forward facing when they turn one the American pediatrics association recommends to keep children rear facing until age 2. It is actually safer to keep them RF as long as the car seat allows(most are 35lbs) Kaylee is 20 mo and she is still RF and doesn't mind one bit.
Sorry so long, but I found this very helpful. I found out I didn't have any idea about car seat safety.


Please watch these videos and protect your children, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends. Please...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI8mI

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3674114





Ten Basic Rules:



* Kids 12 and under should ALWAYS ride in the back seat. This cuts their risk of death by 36%.

* Kids should be in a carseat or booster until they can be seated properly in a seatbelt. For most kids, this is around 8 years old or 4' 9" tall, but proper seatbelt fit is the most important factor.

* Never place a rear-facing carseat in the front seat when there is an active frontal airbag.

* Keep your baby rear-facing as long as possible. That can mean up to 30, 33 or 35 pounds in most current convertible seats unless they outgrow it by height first.

* All current car seats pass government safety standards. Select the one that best fits your child, your vehicle and your budget. Some models do have different features; select one that has the features that will allow you to use it correctly EVERY trip.

* Always read the owners manuals for your vehicle and carseat thoroughly. They often contain specific information about carseat installation that may not be obvious. Some models may vary from what you would expect.

* Make sure that the harness fits snugly on your child, the carseat fits snugly in your vehicle, and that your vehicle seatbelts are locked properly.

* When you buy a carseat, make sure you have a good return policy in case it doesn't fit or in case you find you don't like it. Have your seat inspected by a certified technician for free at a checkup event or fitting station.

* Please be wary of used carseats, especially those over 6 years old, those with an unknown history that may have been in a crash, those that show any form of cracks or damage, and those with missing labels, model number, manufacturing date, instructions or parts.

* Please give driving your complete, unimpaired attention and wear your own seatbelt all the time. These two simple steps are among these easiest ways you can protect yourself and your passengers from injury or death.






More information:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo&NR=1

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/

http://www.joelsjourney.org/ViewJoelsvideo.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04
Brad and Hailey said…
So what and brand did you end up getting. We've been looking for a while for when the time comes.
heather said…
I had the chicco infant carrier too and loved it! Our's was the keyfit 30, so L was able to stay in it the whole year ... but that doesn't make much a difference when you still have to go buy a new one. Oh the joys of car seat shopping (which might be my least favorite thing in the world)! Glad you found a good one!
Alyeic said…
He's so cute and such a big boy! Matthew has both of those car seats! He was about 1 1/2 lbs away from the limit at his 6 month appointment so I researched and purchased the Raceway Evenflo car seat. I still need to install it but so glad to hear you enjoy it!
Steve Hall said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Aimee~ said…
That Evenflo seat looks like the same one that Jilly has, except different fabric. My mom bought it for her and I love it! She's been in it for over 2 years now and it's still awesome. However, I do not have the snack/drink cup holders on there because there isn't room in our car for two car seats with those. ;-)

P.S. The comment that got deleted was me. I wrote a comment and published it before I realized it was under my husband's account, so I deleted it and re-did it under mine. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...