Skip to main content

Book Club 2012 & Book Reviews

So not only am I reading these days, I actually took charge of our little book club.  If you would have asked me 2 years ago to join your book club (let alone lead one) I most likely would have laughed in your face and then said no.  Yet here I am trucking a long and busting out a book a month.  I know that is still not a lot compared to how much other people read, but it is a pretty big deal for me.  And I love it!  I feel like I am learning so much and using this brain more than just at a toddler level.  I love feeling like I can contribute to real adult conversations.  Overall it just feels good!

I thought I'd share our book list with you and a little review of the book.  (side note, most of these I read many months ago so the reviews are not going to go into much depth, sorry.)  

So here they are:



January: We met and decided together the books we would read for the year.  We try to get a variety, memories, historical fiction, adventure, etc.


February Book
The Glass Castle: I did enjoy this book.  It was really eye opening in a lot of ways.  Super interesting and inspiring. I think it was extremely well written, especially in her ability to not let her feelings inter fear with the story.


March Book
The Alchemist:  This is a quick easy read. I really liked this book.  Very insightful.


April Book
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas:  I loved this book and hated it at the same time.  I loved the story and the perspective it took on the Holocaust but I truly despised the author's voice.  It really annoyed me.  I wish he would have taken a different approach.  But the story overall, I really did appreciate.

We also watched the movie at book club and I feel like they did a great job in regards to staying with the story.  There were only very minute changes.


May Book 
was Persuasion by Jane Austen
(May was a crazy month for me & we were out of town for most of it so I didn't get a chance to read this one.)


June Book
Heaven is for Real: I love, love, LOVED this book!  About this little boys trip to Heaven & back.  I found it fascinating!  It is the first (and only) book I have ever read cover to cover in one day.  It helped that it was a short and easy read, but really, I LOVED IT!


July Book
The Vow:  Can I just say I love, Love, LOVED this book! In a world where so many couples are so quick to give up on their marriages this book brings back what a Vow, a promise, a commitment really means. It was amazing how they relied so heavily on the Lord to make their marriage work despite the fact that she did not even know who he was let alone how to be married to him. So interesting. So inspiring. I highly recommend it!

We also watched the movie at book club.  Honestly, we did more talking then watching, but from what I did see, the movie is NOTHING like the book.  Like two totally different stories.  I'll have to go back and watch it again as a separate thought and see if I actually like the movie too.


August Book

Escape:  This book was crazy!  I don't even know how to describe it.  It was so interesting and was seriously hooked.  This woman is inspiring!  Her story is unbelievable and incredibly eye-opening.  I truly could not believe so many of the things that happened to her and her ability to keep going.  Super interesting read!


September Book

The Maze Runner: I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either. It was an exciting quick read and I plan on reading the rest of the series, but I just didn't love it. I'm not sure why, maybe because everyone compares it to The Hunger Games which I love so I went in with high expectations. And can see why so many make the comparison, but Hunger Games is much better. We'll see how the next book is.


October Book

25 Mistakes: Having majored in Family Life in college, I usually take these kinds of books as a grain of salt. I must say that I agree with everything this book says 100%!! It corresponds exactly to what I have studied and how I feel personally about a lot of these issues. It is eye opening & life altering. I also love the way it is written with a personal experience or two, then statics about it, and then the spiritual side. I am so glad I read and bought this book.  I have marked it up with highlights and notes and will refer back to it throughout my parenting days.


November/December Books
Since Nov/Dec are crazy months we decided on these since most people have read them already.  That way we can still get together and talk about them and then plan for next year's list.

The Hunger Games:  It has been almost a year since I read these, but I did love them and will most likely re-read them.  The Hunger Games was great but I think I liked the second book, Catching Fire even more.  I loved how it picked up right where the first ended and had just as many unexpected twists.  Mockingjay was OK   I certainly didn't love it as much as the first two.  I kind of felt like it was rushed a little.  But overall the series as a whole was awesome!

What books did you read this year?  

Any recommendations for our book list next year?

Happy Reading!

Comments

David and Megan said…
"These is my words" Nancy E Turner and "The Plain Truth" by Jodi Piccolt. Read them in our book club. Couldn't put either of them down.
Hayley said…
I also agree with These is my words. I read that about 2 years ago and I really liked it.
Personally I think you should go back and read Persuasion because that is one of my favorite books in the history of ever!

Sticking with my archaic taste for books, I read Profiles in Courage for one book club and absolutely loved it. (By JFK)

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...