So today our church had a special meeting, it was Invitation Sunday. It has been in the works for MONTHS. The goal was for everyone to go out and invite their neighbors, colleagues, friends and family to attend church with them today. They planned a special meeting outlining the main doctrines we believe. They called a few speakers to take 3 to 5 minutes and speak on the topic they were given outlining what they felt to be the most basic and important parts of that doctrine and I was one of the speakers chosen.
They asked me to speak on The Family. Oddly, I was not nervous at all, in fact I was quite excited. The family is my thing. I have such love for families, and the doctrine of it and it is something I really want to shout to the world every day. And they gave me an opportunity to do so. The hardest part was narrowing it down to 3-5 minutes. If you know me, I have the tendency to get on a soap box when it comes to anything relating to the family. I am so passionate about it and I know without a doubt the truthfulness of this doctrine. I have studied it in school, I have seen it in society, and I have lived it.
Anyway, I just thought I'd share my talk on here too (yet again, another opportunity to shout it to the world). Keep in mind I less than 5 minutes. Also note, for piracy sake, the large majority of this talk came straight from The Family: A Proclamation to the World which is probably one of my favorite documents in the world. I still have most of it memorized.
Again, I could get up on my soap box and talk for days (literally) about the family. But if I had to sum it up in 5 minutes of less, this is what I would say.
My name is Rebecca and I too am a child of God. (We all started this way)
Our Heavenly Father loves us so much
that He gave us families.
The family has been and always will be
the fundamental unit in society.
Marriage between a man and woman is
ordained of God and the family is central to His plan for the eternal destiny
of His children.
We believe that Families are
forever. When we are married it is for
time and all eternity not just until death do us part.
Sacred ordinances and covenants
available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the
presence of God and for families to be united eternally.
The first commandment that God gave to
Adam & Eve remains in force. We are
to multiply and replenish the earth.
However these sacred powers are to be used only between a man and woman,
lawfully wedded as husband and wife.
Children are entitled to birth within
the bonds of matrimony and to be reared by a father and mother who honor
marital vows with complete fidelity.
The
role of parents is sacred. President
Harold B. Lee counseled us that “the most important work you will ever do
will be within the walls of your own homes.” Parents have a sacred duty
to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical
and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe
the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Parents will be held accountable before God
for the discharge of these obligations.
President
David O. Mckay said: “Nothing can take the place of home in
rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure
in the home.”
Although
many people do not live in ideal situations because of death, divorce, or a
number of other circumstances we will continue to teach and strive for the
ideal. Our Heavenly Father truly does
love each of us. He loves you. And He wants what is best for us.
Although we
all have trials and tribulations they are meant to refine us and cause us to
rely on our Heavenly Father. Life is
hard, but we can do hard things.
Majoring in
family and social sciences provided me with an opportunity to study the family
in all its verities. I know both
secularly and spiritually that these teachings/things are true.
"So the bad news
is that family breakdown is causing a host of societal and economic ills. But
the good news is that, like any cause and effect, those ills can be reversed if
what is causing them is changed. Inequities are resolved by living correct
principles and values. Brothers and sisters, the most important cause of our
lifetime is our families. If we will devote ourselves to this cause, we will
improve every other aspect of our lives. —Elder M. Russell Ballard,
Brothers
& Sisters, I love the family. I know that
it is ordained of God.
I know that
families can be together forever as long as we follow Jesus Christ’s example.
"We need to
greatly increase religious observance in the home. . . We need to introduce
into our homes content that is 'virtuous, lovely, or of good report or
praiseworthy.' If we make of our homes holy places that shelter us from evil,
we will be protected from the adverse consequences that the scriptures have
foretold."—Quentin
L. Cook, "Let There Be Light!", General Conference, October 2010
We can have
that protection, we can have that success, we can have an eternal family.
The End.
I am happy I had the chance to speak and hope the spirit was felt by those in attendance. All the talks were amazing.
I love the doctrine of the Family.
I love my family.
And I love you!
I am happy I had the chance to speak and hope the spirit was felt by those in attendance. All the talks were amazing.
I love the doctrine of the Family.
I love my family.
And I love you!
Comments