Skip to main content

A New(ish) Bed

So a while ago, like the end of April/beginning of May, we decided it was time for a new bed for the kids.  The crib we had was missing pieces so it could not be lower and Em could get out.  She could also get out of the pack-n-play.  P's bed was actually one of my in-laws spare beds that we took with us when we moved out.  We decided to start the search.

There was a bed at IKEA that I thought would be perfect. This bed to be exact.  I had seen it for years and always liked it.  We would make it a loft bed and throw a mattress down below for Em.  We finally decided we needed to just go and get it.  So the night before I decide to check out, good old Craigslist just to see what was on there and I came across this awesome bed!  You know, like one of those beds you dream about getting for your children but never will because they cost so much money.  One like this or like this under my "Dream Home" pinterest board.  Yeah, not gonna happen.  But thanks to craigslist id DID happy for our little family!

Not the best pictures in the world, and maybe not quite as fancy as the ones on my board, but still... a bed with a slide!  What more could my two little kids ask for!  And it did actually come with this cool house-tent thing that wraps all the way around 3 sides of the bed.  It even has little windows and curtains and a pop out door.  I wish I would have taken a picture with it on because it totally adds to the coolness factor.

ANYWAY, the story on how we got it.  So I obviously decided to message the guy but I offered him a hundred less then he was asking.  I knew it was a long shot, but why not.  I didn't hear back that night and we took off early the next morning to go to the temple (we have an awesome temple swap with our friends and it was our week to go).  We got out the door later than planned and as a result we missed the session.  We did some other work instead but we still ended much earlier than expected.  I asked Jeff to check my email to see if we heard back from the guy.  We DID!  But he said we needed to come get it ASAP as they were headed out of town that day.  I called him, he happened to be semi close to the temple and so we said we were on our way!  We felt kind of bad since our friends had out kids, but it just worked out so perfectly and there is NO WAY we could have gotten the bed home if the kids were in the car with us and we would still make it back at the expected time so we didn't feel too bad, but still a little.

Anyway, we headed out as fast as we could.  Met them, checked out the bed, loved it, and then we took it apart to get it in our car.  It barely fit, BARELY!  But it fit!  I was super excited and I knew the kids would be too.  That day we cleaned out their room.  I was able to do some deep cleaning, baseboards and all, before we put the bed up.  When we were taking P's old bed down he was actually very distraught.  It took a bit of consoling and a lot of explaining that he was getting a new bed.  A big boy bed.  A bed with a slide.  Once we said the world slide he was all smiles!

We only had one mattress for a while which was fine since I still wasn't quite ready to transition Em to a big girl bed.  One day I decided to check out Sam's Club with my parents and they had one bunk mattress for what I thought was an awesome price.  I called Jeff to make sure it was OK, and then bought it.  It was almost Em's 2nd birthday and we knew she was getting some awesome Dora Sheets for her new big girl bed and did her official transition then.  (We have found character sheets to be very helpful in getting the kids excited to stay in their new beds.)

So almost 6 months late, WE HAVE A NEW BED!  lol.  The kids still love it.  When we first put it up they always slept together.  Either both on the top or both on the bottom, sometimes it was even both of them on the floor.  Now they sleep in their own bed most of the time but they hang out on each other's all day.  This was a great purchase indeed!  And it is SUPER solid and sturdy so we should have it for many many years to come.

Wee!
Thomas and Dora
P putting Bear to sleep, covers and all

p.s. I took some awesome pics of the bed a few months ago but then out of the blue that memory card bit the dust.  I'm sad about it for many reason, but the main one being I lost some pictures from the last time we went to the zoo.  I know... we go to the zoo fairly often.  But this time the crocodile was sleeping RIGHT NEXT TO THE VIEWING GLASS!  I got an AMAZING shot of P next to him and his massive body and a great shot of his teeth... I'm SO BUMMED!  And I lots my cool bed pics too so these will have to do.

Comments

Rachel Wilson said…
I wish I had that bed! it looks so fun! And a great way to do bunkbeds without them being too high. What a tender mercy! Sounds like it was meant to be :)
Katrina said…
So fun! you're such a good mom! Kyler would NEVER sleep if he had a bed like that, I'm afraid! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...