Skip to main content

Lost and Found

So I lost my wallet for the first time.
I always thought that if I lost my wallet I would freak out.
I didn't.
I wonder why?
Maybe it was because in regards to loosing your wallet, it was actually kinda good timing:

  • Only $4 cash
  • My license in there was expired with a new one already on the way in the mail
  • The wallet itself is probably 4 years old and falling apart so I needed a new one anyway

Or... maybe because I have misplaced my wallet so many times that I just knew deep down inside it was somewhere findable.  I'll be honest though, after 6 days of no sign of it, I was about to call it quits.  Not to mention I was 200+ miles away from where I last saw it.

So here's what happened.

Saturday night after a long day at the Temple and then the Beach we needed dinner.  Obviously cooking was out of the question but we all couldn't agree on any one place.  So we split up.  The girls went out to Taco Bell and the boys stayed home with the kids and ordered Pizza.  I hadn't used my wallet all trip until this trip to Taco Bell (one of the #1 things about the hubs is he always pays, lol).  So I pulled it out of the bag and headed out with my girl friends.  I ordered, payed, and took this awesome pic while waiting for our food.

Then went to get my order, it wasn't correct, I payed an extra dollar because what I wanted was more then what I got they made it in a snap and we were out the door.  I was a pig, scarfed my food down and practically finished my entire meal before we even got home.  I threw all my stuff in my taco bell bag and came inside to finish and make sure the kids were being fed (that was the boys job while we were gone).

The next day was Sunday, obviously didn't need my wallet that day.  Then Monday we packed up and headed back to Pismo.  We went to the Outlets right when we got back hoping to hit up the tail end of the Memorial Day Sales.  I got some shoes.  Jeff paid because I left my backpack, which had my wallet or so I thought, in the hotel room.  We got back and I was prompted to check the bag for my wallet, not there.  Awesome.  I figured I just threw it in some random bag while we were packing.

I spent all morning Tuesday going though EVERY SINGLE INCH of EVERY SINGLE BAG as well as the car.  Still no sign of it.  And this is when the worry started to kick in.  At this point there were really only two options: it was in my friends car who drove us, or it was in my other friends house where we stayed.  I called them both and asked them to keep an eye out for it.  They both searched diligently for me and to no avail.  And then I start to worry a little more.

I call Taco Bell, even though I'm 99% sure it is not there because of having to pay that extra dollar.  I was right.  What other option was there?  I knew for sure that was the last time I used it.  Taco Bell, Car, House... it had to be one of the three, yet it was not.

So because I hate caring a purse or even a wallet, I have this habit of putting my wallet in the bag with whatever I purchased.  I go to Target, I throw it in the bag on my way out to the car.  I go buy shoes, I throw it in the bag with my shoes.  It seems smart product, receipt, & wallet all in the same bag.  Not smart when what you purchase eventually gets tossed, like Taco Bell wrappers.

So this little habit of mine came to mind after yet another fervent prayer right along with me starting to think about calling the bank to cancel my cards.  I called the friend who's house we were staying at and asked her to do the un-thinkable... to look through her trash.  Please be mindful that there were 4 children 3 and under staying at this house with us and a dog.  That makes for a lot of poop in the garbage can.  I felt HORRIBLE asking, but it really was my last hope.  She is an amazing friend and was willing.

Thursday I am at a random park with my kids when I get a call from my mother.  She is of course worried about the wallet situation as this was the 6th day with no trace of it.  I talked to her about, oddly still calm and freaked out like I thought I would be if I were ever in this situation.  She hung up and then I got a call from my friend.  I was nervous because she was pretty quite when she said hello, but then she said she had good news!  SHE FOUND IT!  Blessings, blessings, blessings!  The biggest blessing of all was that she found it in the recycle bin and didn't even have to open that nasty garbage can.  lol.  But really, I was SOOOOOO relieved!  She popped it in the mail and it got here yesterday.

I was so happy to be reunited!
I am grateful that my mind was inspired to remember that silly and apparently not good quark I have.  And I'm grateful for friends who helped me search high and low to find it.  I felt so helpless being so far from the problem, it really was all in their hands.  They are the best!

Life is so good.  I am so blessed.

More of our awesome trip and Em's birthday to come soon!

Comments

chickadee3357 said…
Can I just say I find it gross that you are kissing the wallet because I'm thinking about it in the poopy trash. Ewww :/
Janneke said…
Yay!!! When I didn't find it after unpacking everything, I prayed for the safe return of the wallet too and that wherever it was the person close to it would get inspiration!!! Prayers DO work. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...