Skip to main content

I Never Thought I Would Say These Words:

I Like To READ.

The other night when we were getting into bed I was going to stay up and read which was a first in our 5 years of marriage.  Jeff was shocked and then when I asked him which book I should read, he almost feel over.  He has never really seen me read a book, let alone two books at once.  

Seriously, who am I?  I have never been a reader.  Despite my parents best efforts as a child, I never read for fun (with a small exception one year I read a few Animorphs).  But really, middle school, high school, college ... I NEVER read for fun.  I would even skimp on my school reading, who knows how I graduated let alone with the grades I did.  

All of my closest friends were/are avid readers.  They would always tell me you would love this book or that book.  I would just nod and smile and know that I had ZERO desire to read any book.  If I was going to see a movie based on the book everyone would say, you have to read the book first.  I would kind of laugh inside thinking, why on earth would I take the time to read the book when I can just go watch the movie.  I felt like I had a million other things I should/wanted to do rather then sit on my butt and read.

But last year a friend in the ward put together a book club and I decided to give it a whirl.  I don't really remember why, maybe because it started in the middle of busy season and I was going crazy.  Maybe because my brain was starting to feel like mush after only talking baby talk all day every day.  Or maybe it was because I know that I should read more because I want my kids to love to read and if that is ever going to happen I am going to have to love to read as well.  Whatever the reason, I'm so glad I jumped on the bandwagon!

Here are the books I read last year:
(All pictures were taken from Goodreads)


 The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright
The Wednesday Letters

Goosegirl by Shannon Hale

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Help

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Sarah's Key

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Alchemist

So putting them onto the list that doesn't seem like a lot, but for me this is HUGE!!  Aside from the scriptures and a few church related books these really are the first books I have ever read on my own.
I also want you to know that I at least attempted every single book on our book club list.  I checked them out from the library and started them, but just couldn't get into them.  Maybe I'll try them again someday because I know a few of them are classics.  

Here is the list of attempted books:

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

The Giver by Lois Lowry

An Emanciaptor’s Wife by Barbara Hambly

When February came around and I didn't hear anyone starting up a book club I decided to take charge.  You heard right folks, I am heading up a book club!  Never thought I'd see that day!  I sent out an email to some local friends to see who would be interested and get some ideas on what to read.  By the end the year book club kind of petered out so we decided to start with our December book from last year which was The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls.  Next week we will be meeting to discuss it and come up with our book list for this year.  

I am so excited about this and I am proud of myself.  I feel so good.  I feel more educated.  I feel closer to my friends.  I feel accomplished.  I feel like my reading has improved.  I feel anxious to start a new book!  As much as I love talking about my kiddos, I love having another topic to discuss.  It is kind of weird, but it has made me feel like there is a me outside of my role of mommy.  Please don't get me wrong, I love being a mother more than anything, but sometimes you get lost in all the poop, tantrums, and messes and forget that you are an individual outside of this role.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this on paper.  I am reading.  I am loving it.  I am going to keep it up!  So far this year I have already read 2 books and by the end of the month it might be up to 3!

The Glass Castle by Jannette Wells
The Glass Castle: A Memoir

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)

And I am currently in the middle of Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)

If you have any must reads, please comment and suggest them to me.  

I am kind of overwhelmed by all the books in the world and don't really know where to begin.  I don't really know what my book preferences are yet aside from clean.  I have loved everything I have read so far. 

Happy Reading!

Comments

I am SO glad you read Shannon Hale's "Goose Girl." That is a book I read over and over again. I would suggest anything by her. One of my all-time favorites is "The Actor and the Housewife." Sounds ridiculous, but it is an utterly endearing tale of marriage and life. Also, try "Beauty" by Robin McKinley, it's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Have fun with the book club!
chickadee3357 said…
The Goose Girl is actually the first of four books. I would recommend the rest. Loved them. #2 is Enna Burning. Saw a post on fb about how you are going to love Mockinjay...I would just caution that it is dark. Which in my opinion it should be, all the stuff these kids have gone through. I thoroughly liked it, but it is a little dark. Glad you are enjoying reading!
Haha you are just like me. I just got into reading as well this last year. If you like the Hunger Games, you would like The Maze Runner series.
Sarah Steele said…
Just to warn you, I pretty much only read Young Adult lit, so that's what all of my recommendations are! Seconding Enna Burning and the rest of the Goose Girl series. Also seconding the Maze Runner series....but the ending is maddening.

If you're looking for more Dystopian (like Hunger Games), the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie is great.

If you like paranormal romance, Shiver, Linger, and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater are really good. And the Dark Divine series by Bree Despain are also top notch.

If you like books that simply make you feel a range of emotions and have a great voice, you HAVE to read "The Sky is Everywhere" by Jandy Nelson.

And for sad-ish yet powerful books, you can't miss "13 Reasons Why" by Jay Asher and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

I am a wealth of YA reading recommendations. Those are just my top few from the last 4 or 5 months.
heather said…
YAY! I love getting recommendations for books, and especially love that it's YOU recommending them! Glad you are enjoying books!! I read Unbroken last month and man alive that book is crazy good. It's by the same author of Seabiscuit which is also supposed to be good but I haven't read it yet. It's long though, and historical in a way which I loved, but might be hard to get into if you're wanting a quick read. I also love These Is My Words. Tough your way through the first 50 pages or so which are hard to stomach since they talk about hardships of pioneer women. But seriously one of my favorites, and I want to own my own copy. Hope your book group goes well! Love and miss you girl!
Rachel said…
Way to go! I LOVE to read. I'm glad you caught the bug! I've read most of these books, but I'm glad you posted because there were a few I haven't and I'm always looking for good books!
Kelsey said…
Are you on goodreads? If you aren't get on!

And I also recommend the Young Adult or Teen Fiction genre. My most recent favorite read was Divergent. Other good books I've read this year are Birthmarked and Poison Study.

And These is my Words is one of my favorite books too, you just have to get through the first few chapters.

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...