Ok, just kidding, but maybe someday.
So about a month ago a friend of mine asked me if I would be willing to make her sister's wedding cake. After my initial heart-attack, I asked her if she was sure. I am BEYOND amateur, I just like to make them for fun. Apparently they were confident enough from pictures my previous cakes and were on a tight budget so I said I would be happy to. I did it for free because I just did not feel good about charging for something I had never done before, ESPECIALLY for someones wedding! I was excited and nervous all at the same time.
About a week before the wedding I made this practice cake (pictured below). This was my first time ever doing this technique, so I would say not too shabby for the first time, but DEFINITELY room for improvement. The bride came to see it that night and was pleased. I told her what I had learned and what I will do differently next time and she was more confident in me than I was!

Well, the wedding was today. It actually ended up being perfect timing in regards to me having time to decorate it. Jeff was off all week, so I told him that Friday was DADDY DAY! And that he was to take the kids out of the house ALL DAY. Well, it worked like a charm and I had all day to myself, which it turns out I NEEDED! SO many little things went wrong and it took what seemed to be FOREVER! But I eventually finished.
Here I am with my first Wedding Cake

I just liked this view for some reason

Here it is with the topper they provided

And one final shot straight on

It looks pretty good, from far away but I hope that no one looked too closely, because really, it was not what I was hoping to present. It was not smooth enough, lots of random smudges of chocolate frosting, not to mention when I dropped something on the top layer that totally smashed part of it and broke some of the garland drop stings, nor the smudge from it crashing into Jeff's leg during transportation ... I was actually kind of embarrassed to present it and I thought that everyone was just telling me it looked good because I was there. It wasn't until Jeff was walking in and said that it really did look good from where he was. I went over there and then for the first time I finally felt proud of this cake.
It was a lot of hard work. A lot of stress. A lot of time. But I am very glad I had the opportunity to do it. It was a HUGE learning experience for me. I think for now I will still keep it as just a hobby, I don't feel good about charging people when there are still always soooo many imperfections. But maybe someday. Hopefully the bride and groom liked it.
Congrats Amy & Michael!
Comments