Skip to main content

What do you feed your Toddlers?

I know this is pretty random, but I am in need of some help from you fellow mothers. Every since P turned one I don't know what to feed him. All the doctors say is "Anything." But that really doesn't help me much. He has been eating pretty much the same things everyday for months and I really want and need to add some variety for the poor little guy. This is what I normally give him:

  • Baby Cereal (I still have TONS left over from WIC so I just add whole milk to it)
  • Applesauce
  • Bananas
  • PB & J
  • Bread
  • Yogurt
  • Cheerios
  • Goldfish
  • A little of whatever we have for dinner
That is about it. Help! I need ideas!

Thanks!

Also, for those interested, I did another post on the Parenting Blog today. Feel free to check it out! www.parentsareimportant.com

Comments

DodgerDog said…
Here's what we fed ours:
Tri-tip
NY Steak
Bacon Cheeseburgers
Chocolate
Bacon
tdyhtrfyhrt;hjr said…
Noah LOVES to eat spaghetti, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets (I found some healthy ones made for kids!), scrambled eggs with cheese mixed into them, french toast, bagel with avocado or cream cheese on it, pancakes, rolls, cut up chicken...I feel the same way sometimes, It's hard to make a variety of food for him even though he can have "everything" now.

(Noah's doctor said to try and add a lot of cheese into everything to fatten him up. But it might help Parker too cause all the cheese could count as some of his milk intake if he's not drinking a lot of cow's milk)
Amanda Duke said…
Mine love hotdogs. Sometimes I feel guilty feeding them hotdogs but it's protein right? Baked beans are another favorite. Spaghetti or ravioli. Toast. String cheese. Canned peaches or pears. Cut up kiwi or grapes. Raisins.
tdyhtrfyhrt;hjr said…
Oh and I try and give sides of cut up fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, oranges, grapes, or cantaloupe. And then I try and buy all whole wheat, or multi-grain bread to make everything a bit healthier. Or put blueberries in the pancakes.

Anyways hope some of that helps! Noah and I miss you and Parker! :)
Nicole said…
Sammie loves everything you mentioned, all pasta, grilled cheese, apples, berries, she hates meat in any form except chicken nuggets (not too expensive from costco) she eats scrambled eggs... I don't know she pretty much eat the same things as us all day with a little extra fruit and more snacks.
Ambrey loves Oatmeal for breakfast. Like with real oats. We buy a big thing of that and then cook it with some whole milk. Then I throw other stuff into it like applesauce (she loves applesauce), brown sugar, cinnamon. Other times I put yogurt and strawberries in it. Since she loves drinking things through a straw sometime I make her smoothies for breakfast, which she loves. Scrambled eggs are great for breakfast because it's good protein. She loves the vienna sausages for a lunch treat. Other things she loves are pretzels, honey kix, graham crackers, ritz with peanut butter, egg salad sandwiches or tuna sandwiches, speghetti, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets (but I don't want her to get used to eating these on a regular basis so it's not very often), home made pizza, Peanut butter and honey sandwiches, cooked carrots or butternut squash with butter, mashed potatoes, buttered toast. Dinner time she usually eats what we eat, but I've got frozen backups in case she doesn't like dinner. Those are generally meals from the past that I froze some of if she particularly liked it (like speghetti) She also likes cheese and bananas, but the doctor said to cut back on those because it was making her kinda constipated.
I was told Avacados are great too and will help get some meat on her bones, but I can rarely get her to eat them. Sometimes I put a bit in her smoothie and she can't tell. Beans are great finger foods. Ambrey likes pinto beans the best. Sometimes I'll make her little burritos with some beans rice and cheese and she loves those.

I know how you feel, sometimes it feels like Ambrey eats the same things for breakfast and lunch everyday, but hey, kids like repetition. And if you think about it...I eat basically the same things for breakfast and lunch everyday too haha.

Good luck!
I usually try to get Gavin to eat whatever we are eating for dinner because I don't want to be making something seperate all the time. The meals that have the most success are the ones that are the most fun to eat like: fun-shaped pasta, quesadillas, oatmeal, bluberries, blackberries, avocados, chili with beans, croutons, mashed potatoes, any veggie cut up small and smothered in real butter :), turkey sandwiches, fruit leather, smoothies, meatloaf. Basically, I just started to feed him real grown up people food, and over time he's accepted it and even liked it.
Brandon said…
Rebecca,

Here is something I found for you that you could go read about toddler feeding:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-toddler_1736045.bc?intcmp=Art_Test_related_fet&pn=My%20BabyCenter

Thanks!
http://parentsareimportant.com
Brandon said…
I also forgot to add this link to foods that they suggest you should avoid:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_foods-that-can-be-unsafe-for-your-toddler_1491465.bc
Liz and Peter said…
Quinn loves cheese, we usually just cut it into small chunks. We also give him chunks of bagel to mix up the bread thing a little bit. I'm not sure how age appropriate this is but Quinn does really well with dried cranberries and raisins. For lunch we mix it up with tuna, chicken nuggets and tortalini or soup, with different fruit on thes ide such as pears or oranges.
Hope that helps!
Stephanie said…
I give Rachael (mostly) whole, natural food, and no processed food or meat. A typical day is:

Breakfast: organic cereal, banana, milk

Snack: String cheese

Lunch: whole wheat bread, cheddar cheese, grapes

Snack: organic crackers/fruit snacks (this is the processed food I still give her)

Dinner: whatever we're having. Always something vegetarian. I find the more chances I give her to try good foods, the more she is willing to eat them.
~Aimee~ said…
Chicken nuggets (eating them right now), cheese- string cheese is easy, crackers (wheat thins, triscuits, and of course goldfish), fruit snacks, apples, grapes, bananas, potatoes (mashed or baked), sometimes we'll share a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli, soup, yogurt. It's a pretty common rut to get into at this age, when they're still little but big enough to eat table food.

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...