Skip to main content

My New Hobby

(Not too bad for my first Basket-weave)

I have always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes. It always looked so fun to me and I have always wanted to be able to make awesome birthday cakes for my kids. I have also been hooked on Ace of Cakes and The Food Network Challenge which made me even more excited about learning how to decorate myself.

Now that I have a child, all of my time and energy is spent on him, which is wonderful but I really wanted a break and to do something for me. I know, sounds selfish, but since he was born I have not really done anything for myself so this was something I needed to do as I'm sure all you other mom's understand. So since I conveniently have 2 sets of grandparents that are more then welcome to Watch the P-man for a couple of hours, I decided to take advantage of it and take some Cake decorating classes.

It has been a BLAST!! I am so glad I have done it. I obviously still need LOTS of practice, but here are some samples of my first cakes. All of these cakes were done in a rush and were made for the sole purpose of practice, but they aren't too shabby for the most part. And I'm taking pictures of all of them so I can watch the improvement over time so I'm sure you will notice that some are obviously better then others.

I'm sure there will be more pictures to come as I continue to make cakes, because as I said, I LOVE doing it and I'm so happy my hubby let me take some classes. I told him it would be an investment so I don't have to purchase my kids b-day cakes and it is a fun way for me to be creative and relax. There are still two more courses for me to take involving fondant, but I'll probably wait until I master what I've learned so far first. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

This is me just practicing a few techniques learned after the first week

My little cupcake inchworm for a Mother's Group

A close up of his face

A Birthday cake for my mom, this was before any classesPretty much everything that could go wrong, went wrong with this one. I was still able to save it a little, but it certainly did not come out how I wanted. I would have normally worked on it at home after, but we went away for the weekend as soon as my class ended, in fact I left class early. O-well, still tasted good.


Now I only have one week of class left. I'm kind of sad, but happy at the same time. Making a cake and frosting every week is very time consuming. I'm so glad I took the classes, it is so fun! I cant wait to take more!

Comments

heather said…
Holy tons of posts! Wow ... I love these cakes too - SO fun!! I've always wanted to take one of these classes, but it has ALWAYS conflicted with Ry's schedule. Bummer. Maybe someday. :) You're pretty much amazing!
Daniel and Lisa said…
That's awesome you get to do that. Take advantage of what you can learn now. I always wanted to take a class at school, but never did. Where did you do it? Joann's?

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...