Skip to main content

The Shepherd


Jeff and I have been having weekly FHE with our good friends Danny & Janneke. It has been so great to not only because we get to spend some quality time with good friends, but it has also been great to share spiritual messages, traditions, laughs, and yummy treats. Last week it was my turn to give the lesson. I really struggled coming up with something. I really wanted to do something relating to Christmas, but something more than just the usual Christmas stories. I flipped through the ensign, but nothing was really sparking my interest. I eventually found a short story written by a girl who attended a semester at the BYU Jerusalem center. I got so excited because I always wanted to go and actually almost postponed our wedding in order to do so. But I decided I wanted to get married more so I told my best friend Lindsey to apply so I could live the experience through her. Well she got accepted and went and I did live through as much as I could.


I had recently been thinking about her experience there as I was setting up our Christmas decorations, one of which was very similar to that of the girl in the Ensign. Lindsey got me a little Nativity from Bethlehem made from olive wood (which I love!). As I was putting it out recalled an experience she had when she went to Bethlehem. She of course was excited to go to the actual place of Christ birth, but she said the city itself was not the highlight of the visit there. The town was so crowded and loud, it just wasn't the peaceful feeling she had expected to feel. It wasn't until they went up to "Shepard's Hill" that she truly felt the spirit. The hill overlooked the city, but was separated from the craziness there. She said she could just imagine the shepherds watching their flocks, not know what was about to happen. Thinking about how the angels came declaring the good news of Christ birth.


As I thought about this experience, I thought it was awesome that both her, the girl in the Ensign, and a few others have had that very same experience. As I did so, I thought frequently why there? I then pondered about the significance of Christ's role as our personal shepherd. He truly is there for us. He really does watch over us and guide us as a shepherd guides his sheep. He tries to protects us from the harmful things around us. He comes looking for us when we are lost. There is so much to His role as Our Shepherd, and I love thinking about it!

My mother-in-law gave me the willow tree nativity last year for Christmas and it is one of my very favorites. As I was setting it up along with the one Lindsey got us and a few others I could help but notice the shepherd. Usual I just over look this piece of the nativity, but given all that I had been pondering, it really caught my attention.

You see, this particular shepherd is holding one of the sheep. I couldn't help but think about it more. What I pictured when I looked at him was Christ holding me. I know that that is what He really wants to do and He DOES do. He loves each of His children so much and wants so badly to share in the Joy. He wants to give us everything! I was so grateful for this experience and for the opportunity I had to share it at FHE because it helped me to realize how significant it really was. Once again, just put my mind in the right perspective of Christmas. It truly is about Christ. It truly is about Love. It truly is about Joy.

How grateful I am for Christmas to remind us more of Christ and what He did and continues to do for us. And how grateful I am for Christ, my literal Savior. I pray that I can remember Him not only this Christmas but the whole year through.

I hope each of you have a Wonderful Christmas filled with much Joy, Love, Family, Friends, & Peace. And may we all more fully recognize His hands in our lives. How blessed we are! Merry Christmas!

Comments

Sara said…
thanks so much for the yummy treats! It was so fun to come home and see that on our porch:) :) and man, were they good!
BTW, if you want an invite to our blog send me your email (saramsuman@gmail.com) and I will send you one!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...