It is hard to believe that the year has gone by so quickly! It really did not feel like Christmas, but now that I see all the decorations and lights it is becoming so real! Last year Christmas on our end was pretty sad. We decorated a little . . . a wreath on the door and a few nativities set up in the house . . . but other than that is was really sad. We didn't even get each other gifts! Our first Christmas married and it was so pathetic! We both didn't mind, but looking back it kind of makes me sad. Mostly because we didn't even take a picture together. So this year I vowed would be different!
Growing up, it was a tradition in our home to cut down our own Christmas tree. The Saturday after Thanksgiving was always the day. Ever since I was a small child I have always wanted to carry that same tradition on for my new family. Jeff however, never had a real tree. I was in shock! I seriously thought that everyone had a real tree. Little did I know, I was the not normal one. But due to our small apartment and lack of storage, Jeff was with me on getting a real tree! I was so excited and have been looking forward to cutting down our first tree together when I came to find out, there is no place to do that here! It broke my heart! One of my friends told me that you could buy a permit from the state and go cut one down in the mountains, but the permits sell out the day they go on sale and I had already missed my chance. I was totally bummed! But at least I know for next year. So our last option was to go to a little tree lot and purchase a pre-cut tree. Much to my dismay, these are SUPER expensive! Even for the little one we wanted! I was started to fret that we would yet again have no tree. With a baby on the way, I am starting to stress a lot more about money, and spending that much for a tree seemed absurd! Christmas was really adding up with the need of a tree stand, ornaments, lights, tree skirt, etc. Luckily my husband loves me so much! And he know how badly I wanted a tree so we went in search again at a new place and found a better tree for a cheaper price! Still way more than I wanted to pay, but we bit the bullet and did it anyway!
Getting it home was an adventure as well. We felt so silly driving around in our car with a tree on top. It really just made us laugh the whole way home!
Well, after a lot of hard work, mostly on Jeff's part (the life of having a pregnant wife) we finally got it to the apartment, into the stand, and into the corner. Despite our efforts to find the skinniest tree we could, once we got it into our tiny apartment we realized that it really was not skinny at all. But we were thrilled! Decorating the tree is a very long process when there are only two of you, who knew. Thanks to my parents and the tradition we had of getting a new ornament every year, we had plenty of ornaments to put up. It was lots of fun. We also got another cool case of store bought ornaments but did not realize that they do not come with hooks. Once again, who knew. So our tree is still a little bare, but it makes us so happy to come home to. Yay for the spirit of Christmas in your home! I love it! Here is a picture of Jeff with the almost finished product.
We are going home to CA for Christmas this year and are both so excited about it!! It will be the first time in a long time that our families will be all together on Christmas. For the Scores, they have had a son out on a mission the past 4 years during Christmas, so it will be so wonderful to celebrate all together this year. And for my side, I don't not even remember the last time my sister was home for Christmas. It will be a wonderful year!! Merry Christmas!!
Comments