Skip to main content

I'm a Widow

O-Kay, so not really; but kind of. Jeff is out of town on business for the next 4 weeks. I feel like it could not have come at a worse time. There are tons of things going on right now, P has been a major pill lately (you know like those HUGE ones that you cant seem to swallow), Em is just feisty and has a temper that I did not know was possible and by the way is STILL NOT SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT. Lets just say, this past week was really hard and I even had my husband around. So thinking about last week and then magnifying since I'll be alone and multiplying that by 4 what quite overwhelming.

To say I had my fair share of breakdowns this weekend would be an understatement. I feel bad for my poor children because I am just not the fun mom that I usually am/want to me. My patients is short, I'm a grump, I'm depressed, and I am just physically and mentally exhausted. But after a good cry, OK ... maybe more than one ... and an obviously inspired lesson just for me at church today I am feeling better about things.

Now you should know I am serving in Young Women's right now (which I LOVE by the way), so my mindset going into this lesson was, "hum.. I wonder what the girls are going to learn/get out of the lesson today." And it was taught by a member of the bishopric, so I knew it would be special and something THEY really needed. The lesson started out with a short movie, "Only a Stonecutter." It is the true story of John Moyle, a stone Mason. He joined the church in England, then brought his family to the states, then walked across the plains with them, made it to Salt Lake and bought 106 acres of land just north of Salt Lake City. Just as they were getting settled in, the Prophet Brigham Young extended a call to John Moyle to work as a stone mason on the Salt Lake Temple. He of course willingly accepted the call. The wife expressed her concerns of how he would be able to fulfill this call and still take care of his family and farm responsibilities; he had only positive things to say (their interaction reminded me so much of Jeff and I.) He made it possible for his family to have all the tools they needed to run the farm while he was away working on the temple (ie: leaving the horses at home and WALKING to Salt Lake City). This meant he woke up at 2:00 AM every Monday to start his 22 mile walk to Salt Lake City. He would stay with his newly married son who lived in Salt Lake throughout the week and then would walk back home every Friday and would get there about Midnight. He would wake up early Saturday and fulfill a weeks worth of farm chores in one day. Would spend Sunday with his family and at church and then would start all over again Monday morning at 2:00 AM. He did this for 20 YEARS!!!!

After hearing this, what on earth am I complaining about 4 weeks??? And I only have 2 children and no farm to take care of. Not to mention having my family, my in-laws, and lots of friends to keep me company and help if I need it. What a much needed lesson. I am so grateful for the blessing I have, which I know are so many. I truly have nothing to complain about. Now obviously, these next 4 weeks are not going to be easy for me, but I will be just fine. As one of my teachers from school taught me,

"Life is hard, but we can do hard things."

This statement is so true! I think about it a lot. And after a wonderful evening at my in-laws and listening to the P-man laugh hysterically with his uncle for what seemed like hours, and looking in to Em's amazingly beautiful, innocent, & loving eyes as I sang to her before bed, I am feeling good. I am feeling refreshed. I am feeling positive. And I am not feeling lonely anymore.

Heavenly Father knows what we can handle, and knows what we need right when we need it. I am so grateful for a loving Father who knows me, and only wants what is best for me. Obviously none of this will make me miss my hubby any less, but the adjusted perspective has already made all the difference in the world. And all I can say is thank goodness for technology & weekends!

Comments

Janneke said…
What a great inspirational post Bec!! You're amazing and you REALLY CAN do hard things. I'm always amazed by you and look up to you in so many ways. Keep your chin up, stay logged onto Skype the next 4 weeks (so you can call me anytime and I can do likewise) and just cherish those phone calls with the hubby every night. Tho i didn't have 2 kiddos, I was pregnant and away from Danny for a whole summer (remember?) AND my best friend. :) You'll do just fine and before you know it, he'll be back and you'll be all the stronger. Good luck! Love ya girl!
Brendon said…
Thank You Becca, I needed to read that post as I think we all needed that lesson. You are truly amazing!!! Thank you again You rock
April J. said…
Great post! I would love to give you a little break over the next little bit, so please let me know when I can do it. I am good with fussy babies, too. I will even take both kids so you can go home and take a nap!
charlene said…
Now, Bec, I know that you watch other people's children all the time. It's time to call on that! Drop off the kids, get the house cleaned, get a pedicure and read a book, get your batteries recharged! And THEN you can be the mom you want to be! <3 you!
What a great post Becca! Yes, it is NOT easy. But I agree with you, we're only given those things we can handle. You're such an amazing mom and friend. And you know how much we love the little Miss and the P man around our house, so please call on us if needed! I'd love to watch them both. Any time after May 1st and I'm there :) Take care, and keep up the good work, like always.
Ps I often find that with my kids, I either start yelling at them, or start crying. I opt for the latter. And yes, you do feel better afterwards :)
heather said…
Love it - and I completely know how you feel. I have never felt so much empathy before! :) If you EVER need someone to talk to, I would love to chat. Taking care of two kids alone can be tough, but yet as always you will rise to the challenge. Keep me posted! Love ya!
You are amazing Rebecca! Stay strong! But, also know that you DO have a valid reason for being any way you want in reaction to this hard stuff!! I am really inspired by your attitude though- really.

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...