Well, yesterday was the last day of the first part of our lives. I know that sounds kind of weird so let me explain. Jeff and I have been one of the luckiest couples in the world. We had the opportunity to spend the first 4 years of our marriage together all the time. I know you must be thinking, well that isn't really possible to be together all the time and I guess it really wasn't ALL the time, but truly most of the time. While we were both in school we were so blessed to not have to work full time, so the only times we were apart were when we were in class. Once we became RAs that took care of our biggest expense, rent, and aside from that we lived off what we made over the summers when we would work full time. But even then, we were both working 8-5 jobs so it was no big deal.
Today Jeff started work and lets just say we will be making up for lost time. For those of you who don't know, he will be working for Ernst & Young and huge accounting firm and they are going to work the poor guy to the bone. And even though today was his first day they flew him down to LA for training, so tonight (and for the next week) I am a lone woman for the first time in a LONG LONG LONG time. Right now it isn't a big deal because I still have PLENTY of things I need to do, but I know the second I climb into bed I will get very sad.
Now please don't get me wrong, I do realize how very blessed we are. I have so many friends who have also recently graduated and don't have a job coming straight out of school so I am VERY VERY grateful that we have one. Just knowing that he is going to be working such crazy hours makes me so sad, especially since we will go from seeing each other literally 24-7 (Jeff didn't have a job this summer so we really were together all the time) to seeing him just in time to go to bed. Now I hope and pray that it wont be that bad but I expecting the worst so that just maybe it wont be as bad as I had imagined; only time will tell.
I worry about a lot of things now, things I never really thought I would worry about. Like how this will affect our relationship. I like to think it wont do anything especially since we have been best friends for about 12 years but it is going to be so different from how it has always been so it must affect it in someway. Maybe it will make us cherish each other more since we will see each other less? Who knows. I also feel sad for the kids, they wont get to play with daddy as much as we would like. Just today alone P-man asked for daddy many many times. He misses him already. I guess that is one reason why it is good we are "Paying our dues" while the kids are still so young. Hopefully by the time they get older and Jeff is more established in his career he will be able to be more involved. In the mean time I am SOOOO glad we are around so much family that we can go to for extra love and support, especially on those lonely days.
So HELLO real world, here we are; please be good to us. And Hello EY, we are your slaves for the next few years, please be good to us too.
Comments
Here's an article Brian sent me. It pretty much describes in the worst possible way what to expect. Just be glad Jeff isn't at Deloitte.
http://www.examiner.com/life-the-cubicle-in-national/pwc-deloitte-e-y-and-kpmg-big-4-employees-modern-indentured-servants