Skip to main content

There are Two Seas in Palestine

Ok, so I actually started this post a YEAR ago. No I am not joking the exact date was Dec. 16th. And this story is mainly for our future entertainment as we look back at this little journal of sorts I have. But I hope some of you will still read it and tell me that we are not horrible horrible people for thinking this is so funny!!

Now before I share this little story with you, let me give you some background. A while ago (3 years) Loyd Newell (Some of you may know him as the voice of the Tabernacle Choir) was doing a book signing at Costco for this book full of stories to read at Christmas. It is called "A Christmas Treasury: for Latter-day Saint Families." I flipped through the book and saw that he had come up with 25 topics, one for each day in December until Christmas. Me in my first year of marriage was so anxious to start our own family traditions I thought this would be a great one! Each night we could read aloud about the true meaning of Christmas and hear wonderful stories and quotes from the brotheren. I decided to get it!

I brought it home and each night we read together about hope, gratitude, love, charity, etc. Well on day 15 the topic was Service and this was one of the stories. It made us CRACK UP for at least 30 mins. Yes we are still silly and sometimes just laugh hysterically for no reason, but this story just tickled our fancy.

PLEASE read it and hang in there, the good stuff is at the end but you have to read the whole thing. It is not long.

There are Two Seas in Palestine

One is fresh, and fish are in it. Splashes of green adorn its banks. Trees spread their branches over it, and stretch out their thirsty roots to sip of its healing waters.

Along its shores the children play, as children played when He was there. He loved it. He could look across its silver surface when He spoke His parables. And on a rolling plain not far away He fed five thousand people.

The river Jourdan makes this sea with sparkling water from the hills. So it laughs in the sunshine. And men build their houses near it, and birds their nests; and every kind of life is happier because it is there.

The river Jordan flows on south into another sea.

Here is no splash of fish, no fluttering leaf, no song of birds, no children's laughter. Travellers choose another route, unless on urgent business. The air hangs heavy above its waters, and neither man nor beast nor fowl will drink.

What makes this mighty difference in these neighbor seas?

Not the river Jordan. It empties the same good water into both. Not the soil in which they lie; not the county round about.

This is the difference. The Sea of Galilee receives but does not keep the Jordan. For every drop that flows into it another drop flows out. The giving and receiving go on in equal measure.

The other sea is shrewder, hoarding its income jealously.

It will not be tempted into any generous impulse. Every drop it gets, it keeps.

The Sea of Galilee give and lives. This other sea gives nothing. It is named The Dead.

There are two kinds of people in the world.


There are two seas in Palestine.

Ok, so is it just me? Well, first off, please know that I DO understand the true meaning of the story and that is fine and good. But really, this story, the way it is worded, how dry it is . . . it just makes me giggle just thinking about it! And before you think I am too awful, please know that I do have a big testimony of service and I am always striving to be better at it. And I guess in a way this little story has been a good an fun way to remember to serve. Jeff and I now and forever will always joke about this story anytime we think about service and we will say to each other:

"There are two kinds of people in the world.


There are two seas in Palestine."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...