Skip to main content

6 Months! (And The Woes of a Postpartum Woman)


I truly cannot believe that it has already been 6 months! Time sure flies! We are so blessed to have this perfect little boy in our home. He is such a doll and he makes us laugh every day!

Here are a few snapshots of him on his 6 month birthday, I know this is a little late now, but the pictures are accurate.


I have the hardest time getting him to smile for the camera when I am taking them alone. He is just in awe at the camera that he just stares it down trying to figure out what it is. So I have to resort to "Peek-a-boo" Photography. It is tricky, but at least I can get a picture or two with a smile in it.
This is an outfit one of our family-friends gave us. We love it, but unfortunately he is such a chunk this was his first and last time wearing it.


I love this picture, it says to me, "Mom, seriously, can we be done. I'm so not amused with this picture taking thing."

Here are some of our favorite things about the P-man to date:

  • He is a chunk weighing in at 20 lbs
  • His head is still HUGE, above the 95% (anytime I see another baby his age, the first thing I notice is how small their head is compared to Parker's, it cracks me up!)
  • He LOVES to laugh, and it is now super easy to get him to laugh. Even if he is dead tired, super grumpy, or screaming at the top of his lungs, I can get him to laugh.
  • He makes us laugh every day
  • He can magically scoot around, although it is a mystery to us how. I put him one place and look a few minutes later and he is still sitting up, but in a completely different place.
  • He is a Roly-poly and love to roll from side to side, back to tummy, and tummy to back.
  • He is a GREAT sleeper, now averaging12 hours straight at night which I LOVE!
  • He is so curious, and is learning new things every day.
  • He loves to talk and bounce and fly
  • In church when we are singing hymns, he starts to "sing" too, so cute!
  • His 2 bottom teeth are really starting to pop and we can see them every time he talks.
  • I love how excited he gets anytime we are near or see a picture of another baby. It is so fun to watch.
  • He is just so silly, we love him to pieces!!

The Woes of a Postpartum Woman

Now that I have waited almost a month to write this, I am actually feeling a lot better about these things, but I still feel like writing about them (mostly because this is like my journal). And I'm sure you don't consider 6 months postpartum, but it seems fitting for what I'm writing about. So please don't mind my rambling on for a few minutes.

1st subject Nursing
I wanted so badly to nurse my child for the complete first year. Unfortunately we had problems straight from the get go. He wasn't gaining weight, and in fact he was still losing it so they had me supplement. This was hard for me and I probably cried for 10 minutes in the doctors office as he continued to comfort me and tell me that I was still a great mom. It all came down to doing what was best for my child, and since he wasn't gaining this was clearly what was best. Since then, I tried everything. I met with 3 lactation specialist, rented pumps from the hospital, i did everything I could and nothing seemed to help. Finally I came to terms that nursing even one or 2 meals a day is better then none. And then around 5 months, I couldn't even do that any more. I was so depressed as I thought about one of my friends who is strictly nursing twins. She could do it for two and I couldn't even do it for one. It was so hard for me! Since then my milk has completely dried up, but I am doing OK. I realized that Parker is a super healthy and happy boy and he is going to be just fine. And I hoping things will go better with the next one.

2nd Subject Weight Loss


This has also been super hard for me. I am still 20 lbs heavier then I was before Parker. I lost 25 lbs in the first week and since then I have stayed exactly the same! Despite my efforts to exercise, eat well, etc, I'm still a large lady. I have good days and bad, but some times I seriously lose hope. I don't know what to do. And finding time to exercise is a challenge enough. Because it has been such a slow process, I am losing my motivation, but I hate looking at myself everyday. It has been even harder since being back here in UT because a lot of my friends have had kids after me, and I feel like they look just like they did before. I just need to get motivated and do it, but it is hard! So much harder then I ever thought it would be. Right now I'm stuck in limbo where the pants I wore during pregnancy are too big and falling off, but my pre baby pants are like paint when I put them on (on the plus side I could get them on).

3rd Subject loneliness


This is another issue that I didn't think would be a problem for me. But since I got back it has been harder then I thought. See back at home I had people around me all the time. I could still do anything and everything I wanted to do while others played with my child. Now I am her all alone and I honestly struggle to even get the bed made everyday. It is hard to feel so unproductive. I'm getting better each day, and find pride in the little things I am able to do. I am also starting a playgroup which will help a lot too.

On the up side, I do LOVE being a mother, it is the best job in the world! But as you know it does come with it's challenges and these are the few I am dealing with. But life is great, and I am truly blessed in so many ways. Mostly because I get to be the mother of the cutest little dude in the world!

Comments

Liz and Peter said…
Nursing sure can be tough! I'm sorry you weren't able to feed Parker as much as you wanted. I have been experiencing similar problems, though luckily it didn't start until 7 months. Sounds like you have a great attitude about it! And Parker is such a cute chunk!
You are such a good mom and have such a CUTE boy! I can't imagine how hard things are (yet) but I think you are doing a wonderful job, try an give yourself some much deserved credit. And I am up for a run any time you want =)
Unknown said…
IT is SUCH a hard adjustment. You give up SO much to be a mom, worth it, but hard!

If this helps, I think I have some pregnancy depression. I started taking a fish oil supliment, and long with other benefits, it is a natual anti-depressant. I think it has made a big difference for me.
Sara said…
First of all, could he be any cuter?! Cute smile, adorable rolls, he is just so handsome!
I wish I could help more with the postpartum woes, but honestly all I can say is it will get better. I struggled with low milk production and loneliness BIG time. (Actually that is one of the reasons I loved it when you would come over!) I found that just getting out of the house, even going to target for an hour, made my days so much better. And playgroups are for the moms, not the baby! I still have rough days here and there, but the older Makenna gets the easier it gets, I guess you just adjust to being alone most of the time? Either way good luck and make sure you keep those playgroups going!
Amanda Duke said…
I have had all those same problems. I had every intention of nursing my boys, especially since Eli has bad kidneys and it is so much better for him, but I just couldn't do it. Eli would scream and cry every time I tried to nurse. I used my pump until it barely worked anymore and finally stopped at 6 months. I'm just glad now that I made it that long.

As far as weight, I dropped 40 pounds in like 2 weeks. But here it is a year later and I still have 10 pounds to go to get back to pre-pregnancy and it is so hard. I can't get the motivation to eat right, I feel bad when I miss working out which makes me eat worse. It is such a horrible cycle. And it kills me to look in the closet at all my clothes I can't fit into.

It is hard being at home all day. I don't live near family and the friends I have aren't always that reliable. It can be hard to do what seems like should be simple tasks - run the dishwasher, mop the floor, vacuum.

But then I just have to take a step back and realize that my boys are such a blessing. And that my husband loves me, even with a few extra pounds. Some days are worse than others but that's just life, right?
Awww.. he is so cute!

I really admire you for writing about what you struggle with! I am so bad at verbalizing things I struggle with and I am sure that just writing things out helps a lot. It helps to know that other people also struggle with things. I haven't experienced the whole post baby state yet, but from what I have heard your experience sounds so normal. I think it takes strong women like you to let people know that it is normal and okay to feel what they are feeling!

If you are ever interested I go walking Mon, Wed, and Fri up around the temple. It is a nice walk and company is always appreciated. :-)
Nicole said…
Parker is adorable. I remember being depressed for weeks when nursing didn't work out for me. And I still feel lonely, and I am SO SO glad you are starting a playgroup! They say isolation is cruel and unusual punishment- I know as stay at home moms we aren't completely isolated, but it's still hard and lonely and I can see isolation being 'cruel and unusual' I was feeling pretty down about everything for awhile too, but as Sara said- it really does get better as they get older!
First off, the P-man is such a cutie! Oh my gosh! He's just adorable! As for the pospartum stuff: Hang in there Becca! Huge hug from Concord to you. You are a great mom, but becoming a mom is a huge adjustment. My pre-pregnancy clothes were given to DI a while ago. I could never fit into them again. I commend you on exercising... My body never went back to what it was, and I kinda wish I had made the time to exercise more. As for the loneliness, I hear ya. I still get it sometimes. But it gets better. I've found that if I have one main activity for the day, then I feel like I have to get ready and get out of bed. For example: Monday is the park, Tuesday is story time, Wednesday is music time, Thursday is Groceries, and Friday is whatever... you get the picture. And good for you in starting a park group. I always love those!
Good luck with everything. I know you've heard this, but it truly gets better. Camilla is now at the point in which she's acting like a little friend... like I can actually play with her, and she keeps me company every day. Say hi to Jeff for us. Love ya!
tdyhtrfyhrt;hjr said…
Wow, Rebecca! I feel like I am reading about my life!! Let's get the playgroup together!!!
Taylors said…
that first picture is so adorable! I think every mom goes through at least 1 of the 3 problems listed. I went through all 3. It gets better over time.
~Aimee~ said…
Everything you're feeling is completely normal! I've been going through some of it too (the weight thing especially). It's rough being a mom and going through all the changes, especially for the first time. But obviously, you're finding it rewarding too. :-) Jilly's head has always been giant too, always in the 90th+ percentile. In fact, our friend brought her a super cute t-shirt from Texas in a 3T and it wouldn't fit over her head, so he had to take it back and return it. Silly, cute fat-headed kiddos. :-)
thisoneisdanny said…
You're doing great Bec. Don't feel bad about the things you can't control. I always found if I could find a friend to do things with (exercise) it was a great motivator. I also always write a list of everything thing I do during the day (I even add the little things after I have done them) so I can see the things marked off the list since I don't always see the things I do. It helps. Parker is getting cuter and cuter.
April J. said…
You are a natural mother, you amaze me in everyway, you always have! I know I am practically an old lady now but still. I had no idea you were struggling with the nursing stuff. I can tell you every experience for me has been different some more successful than others. With Jackson it has been the hardest. I know nursing is what we think is best so it is hard when things don't work out the way we planned.
shantel.aleece said…
Yep, weight loss and loneliness are so an issue with me too. I am still 20 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, and it is seriously depressing sometimes. It's also hard when I stay home all day and so I don't eat as healthy as I could. You're doing so great, Rebecca. Seriously, you are an inspiration to me,and I'm sure you're doing better than you give yourself credit for.

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...