Skip to main content

Library Love

As I have said before, I am not a book person. I do however REALLY want my kids to be book people because I know of its many many benefits. So I'm trying really hard to introduce them to books and to make it fun. So far it is working! P LOVES books!

I have a strange addiction to buying books which is good and not good at the same time. But now I have a solution to the problem, it is called the local library. I know, not foreign to most people, but the concept to me was a little intimidating. For months I have been bringing the kids to toddler/baby story time which has been fun. I thought I was such a good mom for doing it too. lol. But it hasn't been until recently that I actually started checking books out.

Can I tell you, IT IS AMAZING! Parker LOVES it!

At first I was kinda intimidated and would just grab a few random books and hurry out the door in hopes that at least one would be good. There are SOOOO many books I didn't really know where to begin. But over the past couple of weeks those feelings have gone away, especially as I see how much P loves them. We honestly have about 15 books checked out right now and we read them all the time! I introduce them the first day we get them, and then let P choose which ones he wants to read every other time. And once he starts not picking one anymore, I take it back to the library and we get more. It is so fun!

One of the best things about our library is that it is literally 3 blocks away! So if it is not raining, we walk there which is good for me and the kids! Our library also has an AWESOME family/kids area with tons of toys, puzzles, blocks, puppets, and more! P & Em have a blast playing while I have fun finding books I think P will love. I normally pick out about 6 and after one or two readings I can tell if he likes it or not. If he doesn't I take it back sooner and if he does we read it about 4 times a day. Most of the books we read he has memorized within the first two days of reading. This kid is so smart! Some of them he even "reads" out loud to himself. I love it! It brings a huge smile to my face. His recent favorite is "Cat the Cat, Who Is That?" This is how he reads it:

" Cat, Cat ..... THAT!? MOUSE! Hi mouse. Cat, cat .... THAT!? DUCK! Hi Duck ... pleasure. Cat, cat ... THAT!? FISH! Hey dude! Friends. Cat, cat ... THAT!? Eep! Blarggie, Blarggie! Friends!"

Actual translation:
"Cat the cat, who is that? It's Mouse the mouse! Hi, Mouse the mouse! 'Hello there!'
"Cat the cat, who is that? It's Duck the duck! Hi, Duck the duck! 'A pleasure, as always!'
Cat he cat, who is that? It's Fish the fish! Hi, Fish the fish! 'Hey, dude!'
Cat the cat likes her friends!
Cat the cat, who is that? (picture of a weird looking monster) EEP!
(monster then says) 'Blarggie Blarggie!'
It's a New friend!! Blarggie Blarggie!"

A silly book, but the P-man LOVES IT!

Anyway, I am happy to report that I am no longer intimidated by the library! I have a blast every time we go. It is so fun watching P learn new words with each book we get. It is fun to listen to him read. It is fun reading to him. Everything about it is wonderful!

It is still a challenge to find age appropriate books for him. That is, books with words, but not too many words. Here are some of his favorites in case you are in the same boat as me. Also, if you have any you would recommended please let me know!

Happy Reading!!

Comments

Thanks for the ideas! I love getting books at the library especially for Ambrey. Since we do story time with her every night before bed, recycling her same books over and over again can get old. Thanks for some new ideas! I am not really familiar with a lot of kids books. Ambrey really loves the Eric Carle books, especially The Hungry Caterillar and the Grouchy Ladybug. She also really loves the If You Give a Moose a Muffin books. There are a bunch of those.
I LOVE our Library! You can always find us there on rainy days :) I agree, sometimes it is very hard to find books with few words, but it's worth it. We love the Froggy books by Jonathan London. Camilla went through a phase inw hich that's all she wanted to read! We also like Yip, Snap, Yap by Charles Fuge. Lots of good stuff for sure!
~Aimee~ said…
My son (a few months younger than Parker) LOVES all the Brown Bear books and a lot of the Dr Seuss books. Hop on Pop is his favorite of those, but he loves Fox in Socks too. I swear my kid is so obsessed with books too, that it's almost scary how intense he is! He'll bring you the same book 16 times in a row and throw it at you until you read it to him. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is another very fun one and works good for their age (helps them with the alphabet too).
Shantel Aleece said…
I have found that the "Beginner Readers" section is simple and good for Conner. So he loves Sesame Street and Pooh Bear, so I go and find books in the beginner reader section in those subjects.

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...