Skip to main content

A New Perspective on Birthdays

I have always enjoyed my Birthday, and I do try to go out of my way to make other's birthdays special because that is what my parents taught me to do. As I was thinking about my birthday this year and all that I had accomplished this past year it really opened my eyes and made me want to make birthdays even more amazing. It finally clicked, birthdays are about celebrating one's life. I'm sure you are thinking "duh!" But this year it REALLY clicked. I'm not sure why it was different, perhaps because I usually think about birthdays in a selfish way and although it was my birthday yesterday, I was not thinking about me. (p.s. This is a lot harder to explain then I thought it would be.)

I spent the day thinking about the wonderful people in my life: husband, children, parents, in-laws, friends, family, etc. I was thinking about what my life would be like without them, and who I would be without them. It made me SO VERY GRATEFUL for everyone in my life! And I do mean EVERYONE! Even people I was only friends with for a few months in middle school. You see, we all impact the people around us in some way or another. I feel so incredibly blessed. I don't mean this to be cocky in anyway, but I am pretty pleased with who I have become over these past 26 years. Don't get me wrong, I have many, many, MANY areas to i
mprove in, but overall I would say that I'm a pretty good person. After thinking so much about all of this I contribute who I am to everyone around me because they are really what helped make me me. And because of it I want to make others birthdays special because I am grateful for them. I want them to know that I cherish them and that I am blessed because of their life. This includes children, family, friends, everyone. I want to celebrate their life because they deserve it! Their life is great and blesses my life and I want to show my gratitude my honoring them on the day we celebrate their birth.

I feel like I am just rambling now, hopefully you get my point. From here on out I am going to try a lot harder to make birthdays a bigger deal because I am happy they are in my life and I want them to know!

And now I step off my soap box.

And in case you were wondering, I did have a great birthday myself. I woke up to a surprise with delivery men at my front door who brought me pedestals for my washer and dryer. I will now be laundering in luxury!

My hubby also got home early from work (4:30, is a new record!!!) We rented a movie and made my favorite dessert, a Pizzokie!! If you don't know what it is, it looks like this.
Can I just say, heaven in a pan! :)

The rest of the night was also eventful because we started sleep training Em last night. Not really my idea for fun, and I wanted to wait until next week, but it was way past time. More info on that adventure in another blog post.

Anyway, life is good. Farewell 25, you were good to me. I'm excited to see what 26 has in store!

Comments

Kim said…
Happy Happy Birthday! I'm glad you have a great day. You are an amazing person and I'm so glad we're friends! You're the best!
Rachel said…
Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had an "It's a Wonderful Life" experience. :) It's always nice to have those epiphanies that life really is good and happy.

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...