Skip to main content

To Blog or Not to blog, that is the question

I was on such a roll a couple of weeks ago and now, BLAH! I have so much to blog about I don't want to do it. I mean, I want to, but I know how long it will take and time is just precious these days. Just to have 5 mins to breath without another being attached seems like a miracle. Please don't get me wrong, I love my kiddos to death, but I have come to realize how precious mom time is. I came across an article in the Yahoo News the other day and it was a good reminder for me. I have posted it below but it can also be found here.

For now, know we are doing well.

Life is good.

Em is almost sitting up on her own, she did it for almost 5 minutes today totally un-assisted!

P-man is still talking up a storm and enjoys saying his prayers at night. (which is the cutest thing in the world by the way)

Work is going well for Jeff.

We might have found a place to live that is in our ward and is 4 bedrooms . . . imagine what I could do with all that space!! :)

We are loving the beautiful and warm fall weather which is still allowing us to play outside everyday.

I have some awesome girl friends that I go on walks with everyday which not only makes me feel better physically but emotionally as well.

Only 10 more lbs to my first weight goal (but with the holidays coming up that is easier said than done)

Pretty much all my Christmas shopping is done, which is AWESOME!

Um . . . that is all I can think of for now. I will try and post more soon with more updates on the kiddos and Halloween! :)

Hope you are doing great too!


Here are 10 things happy moms do--so remember these tips in your day-to-day life!

1. Find time for yourself

Happy moms know they deserve a little time to themselves. When you know you're going to have a little room to breathe later on in the day, it's easier to take on everything that's in front of you. Our formula? Take 2 hours out for yourself every 3 days.

2. Don't make a happy baby, happier!
We all do it...you see your baby's head at what you're sure is an unnatural angle snoozing in their car seat. You just know they'll be happier if their head was straight. So you move them. And they wake up. Then they scream. Or, you see them playing happily in the sand. You just know they'll be happier if they played on the slide. So you interrupt them and move them to the slide. And they're angry. And they let you know they're REALLY angry. Here's the thing, they were happy. It can be hard to do, but if your kid's not complaining, leave them be! Happy baby = Happy Mommy.

3. Embrace the mess
So your house doesn’t look like something out of a magazine. That just means it’s cozy! Your children have hands coated in dirt from the playground and faces coated in spaghetti from dinner. It’s not gross—it’s an adorable photo op! Life is about how you look at things. Next time that pile of laundry that’s been sitting on the chair for three days starts to get you down, just remember… it’s probably feng shui.

4. Make time for your friends
Your family can survive without you while you make time to see friends. You are a woman with your own identity and its imperative that you and that identity go out for some margaritas once in awhile!

5. Stop blowing yourself off
While you may be the one taking care of everyone, it doesn't mean you can't also get what you want. Help your family realize your needs are as important as theirs and when mom is happy, everyone is happy, but when mom is not....

6. Get in the zone
Take 10 minutes to do absolutely nothing but rest. Take a break from your day, close your eyes, breath in slowly and deeply through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Repeat several times. Think about a place you love that is relaxing, spend 10 minutes there in your mind.

7. Remember your dreams and goals
Everyday we are encouraging our children to reach their full potential. But sometimes in the midst of being a parent we forget about our own dreams and goals. The best thing you can do to encourage a child is to lead by example –happy moms hold on to their dreams and goals and don’t let go.

8. Be lighthearted
Don't be the uptight mom. Be silly and dance with your kids to their music or tv show tunes. Be romantic and pull your partner into a waltz. Dance in slippery socks in your kitchen while making dinner.

9. Bend the Rules
One of the best parts of making the rules is occasionally breaking them. Maybe it’s taking your child out of school for half a day on their birthday, or waking them up in the middle of the night to see a sky of shooting stars. Happy moms know how to turn the mundane into fun.

10. Mind your own business
Concentrate on creating your life the way you want it. Take care of you and your family. Don’t get overly concerned with what other people are doing or saying. Don’t get caught up with gossip or name calling. Stop seeking the validation of others and be confident in yourself.

Comments

Rebecca, I love this! Such important things to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing. I may be stealing this from you...
Thanks for sharing! Those are good things to remember.
Hillary H said…
I am so guilty of #2. I think I am guilty of it at least once every day. Good advice to just let it go!
So this is from the paper? Pretty cool of them! I think these just made my day- I really have been a grump overwhelmed by everything- if I used these ideas I would be so much happier!! You are awesome!
Janneke said…
I think we're still connected by heart despite the distance. I wish I would have found your post this morning. I cried today and I missed having you just a short walk away. Thanks for your post. As for catching up on blogging... don't stress about it. Do hightlights instead and move forward. Otherwise the list gets too long and you get overwhelmed because you can never seem to catch up.

Love ya!
Katrina said…
Great article! They really are all such good and true points. And I've found that with 2 it's SO much easier to forget these things than just 1 kid. (Although...1 is SO much harder than none too... :)lol) But I commend you for posting even little tidbits. That's what I did last week and man--even that felt good partly because it was there...but then partly because I actually had something to show for everything I do all day every day! :) you know..those mundane things that often go unnoticed.

That is so cool you might be able to get into a 4 bedroom! How fun for you! We were house searching, but that has now been put on hold for us so we can do grad school first. So, I'll live vicariously through you for a while- k?! :)

I know you're a great mom because you are spending more time with them than on the computer blogging--that's always one thing I have to remember when I'm depressed about being "Behind in blogging". They are what matter most. :) Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

What to pack . . .

So now that he really could come ANY DAY I figured it was probably time for me to pack my bag. I of course have one of those "What to bring" checklist, but I was wondering what your thoughts where. Is there anything you wish you had brought but didn't? Is there anything you would have died without if you hadn't brought it? I'm just so clueless! A few tips from you experienced mothers would be greatly appreciated!! I cant believe it is so close!!

Have you noticed?

I need a haircut ASAP! This is me saying, "I'll smile if you ignore my hair." Don't get me wrong, I am really excited I have long hair, I love having long hair , but it needs a little TLC. It has been a few months since I have even got a trim and I am still re-couping from a not so good hair cut. The last few times I have really CUT my hair, not just a trim, I was not pleased with the results. Now it would probably help if I was willing to pay more than $10 for a hair cut . . . but I'm Mrs. High Pockets as my father calls me and it is really hard for me to spend money on my hair. So I need your help! What do you think I should do? Before you make any suggestions you should know: It MUST be able to go back into a ponytail!!!!!!! My hair is STICK STRAIGHT My hair will not curl to save my life (via over night curls, hot curls, even curling irons, they just don't work) I want and need something EASY! I do not like to spend time on my hair and I don...

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk . . .

So being an emotional pregnant woman is definitely taking its tole on both me and Jeff (what a wonderful, patient, and understanding man he is). Saturday morning I was so excited because for the first time in weeks we actually had a morning together. I had planned to make us a delicious breakfast just like my dad always did for me. We had Eggs, Hashbrowns, and even Bacon; we were so excited. So I started cooking the bacon first, knowing it would take the longest. Then when I thought they were close to being done, Jeff started cooking the eggs and I threw on the hashbrowns. Well, needless to say, the eggs finished super fast and the others were not even close. And then to add more to my frustration the pan I was using for the hashbrowns was awful! Despite my many tablespoons of butter the entire thing was completely stuck! I switched pans in the middle to try to save them. In the meantime Jeff ate his eggs so they wouldn't get cold. I insisted on waiting so I could eat th...