Skip to main content

Confirming the News!

So most of you know that Jeff and I are expecting, what you don't know is the story behind it. We had been discussing when to start our family for a while. All I have ever wanted to be was a mother and I was eager to become one. However, life with just the two of us was perfect and we knew a little one would completely change our lives. We were excited and scarred about those changes. We did a lot of praying and decided that we at least needed to wait until I graduated.

Well, April and graduation came quick. We prayed more and decided it was time to start our little family. We were told that it usually takes a couple months for the birth control to stop working so were expecting if we were lucky to find out around August which would have worked perfectly in getting insurance. Imagine our surprise when we found out in JUNE. Don't get me wrong, we were still super excited, just shocked! After talking to many other couples who have had trouble, we now thank God everyday that we are a "fertile people." We truly are blessed.

I started suspect something one Sunday morning and told Jeff that I might be pregnant. He didn't think anything of it and said just to wait. A few days later I decided to take a test. I'm pretty sure Jeff just thought I was over-eager to be a mom but he went along with it. I took the test and let it sit in the bathroom and told Jeff to go in and tell me what the results were (as you can tell, I was pretty confident). He went in, closed the door and stood in there silently for a few minutes. I knocked to see if he was ok, he just kept saying, "It hasn't been two minutes yet." To him, the test wasn't clear. You see, the vertical line was dark as night, but the horizontal line was pretty faint. Now to me, this would still be no question because the line that would have been negative was the one that was faint, but to a nervous young man, I suppose anything could cause doubt.

Although we were excited, we were also very nervous about many things. First of all was the fact that we currently did not have maternity insurance. Every placed we called, including our school (BYU: the birth capital of the world) considered pregnancy a "Pre-existing condition." We were not sure what to do but found our comfort in the fact that it all would work out. God would not have let it happen if there was not a way to take care of it. We continued our prayers, this time for the baby to grow healthy, for me to have a good pregnancy, and for us to get insurance.

Well, the summer quickly passed. And after getting turned down for Medi-cal, we became a little more worried. We got back to Utah early for our best friends wedding and ran into some old friends. They too happen to be pregnant and shared some wonderful news with us! BYU changed their policy because the government wants pregnant women to have insurance so they can no longer call it a pre-existing condition! We were ecstatic and relieved!! YAY for insurance and not being in debt!!

So 15 weeks later, here we are. Things are going well, and I am doing so well. This has been the dream pregnancy. I have hardly been sick at all, I have yet to throw up, and now I'm through my first trimester which is supposed to be the worst. We are truly blessed!

I continue to be in awe of how much God loves us and how eager He is to bless us when we are doing what He asks of us.

Comments

I used to work at the Student Health Center, and the number one thing I hated was having to tell someone who was pregnant that she wouldn't be covered. Ahh! I wanted to cry with her. I am so glad the insurance company changed that policy. Hopefully though people won't take advatage of it, and will only need it in cases such as yours. So glad everything worked out :)
Stephanie said…
That is so great you were about to get insurance, God was looking out for you and the baby!

Now, time to post some belly pictures :)
Charla Ann said…
We are so glad it all worked out! :)
Brad and Hailey said…
I am so happy you guys got pregnant and that BYU changed their policies. I know it's really scary trying to figure all that stuff out. I am so happy for you guys! It is so exciting! You are truly blessed.
The Carlsens said…
Congrats! Having a baby is so fun! GOOD that you got insurance but still expect at least $4,000 with insurance :)
you are SO lucky you weren't sick! I'm just glad I am through that stage...that's all I can say...lol
Yay!! we are so excited for you guys! Enjoy the crazy and exciting adventure you have ahead of you and don't forget to go on lots of dates now because it's sure harder once the little one comes along! You guys are awesome!
Jan said…
Hey congratulations! We had a similar experience with insurance but it really does all work out. And being a mother is so much fun and so rewarding--you will be great!
HeyJoe said…
My daughter turned 13 yesterday. So let's see...when YOUR son/daughter is 13, mine will be...ACK! Which will make ME...AAACCCK!!!
Loving Our Life said…
Congratulations!! Babies are the best thing in the whole world! Funny thing with our insurance had it been a normal pregnancy it would have been cheaper without insurance. The hospitals make special deals with you if you aren't covered. I'm so excited for you guys.

Popular posts from this blog

The Light of the World

I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church.  Kinda daunting knowing it was Christmas Sunday, but I think it went pretty well.  I like remembering my talk so I'm throwing it up here mainly for my own record.  But maybe it will bless the lives of others too.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that the Light of Christ will be upon you and radiate from you now and forever. Jesus Christ: The Light of the World Rebecca’s talk given on 12/20/2015 Jesus Christ.  Can a topic be any broader? I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks trying to decide what direction I wanted to go and I kept going back to the same thought, Jesus is the light of the world.  This is not an insignificant statement, but very profound and very important.  Let’s start from the beginning. Many Prophets have testified of the fact that Jesus Christ is the light of the world long before the Savior was even born.  The very first sign of his bir...

Because God Love's Us

  How is Christ’s Birth Significant to me Talk on 12/20/2020 Good Morning Brothers and Sisters & Merry Christmas!   Heavenly Father must know my preferred method for giving a talk is procrastinating because I have been called to fill in last minute on many occasions.   However, this is the first time it’s happened on Christmas Sunday.   But I am happy to be here with you and I’m so grateful for technology that allows us to meet and worship together, especially during this Christmas season.   I’m not gonna lie, this is weird speaking on zoom.   I much prefer being together and making eye contact with you and seeing your encouraging smiles.   So please bear with any awkwardness I may have.   When initially asked to speak, Brother Smith gave me the topic of “How Christ’s birth is significant to me.”   My initial response was, could that topic be any broader?   But then gratefully he followed it up with “Particularly from the prosp...

Kid's Talks

  Riley’s Primary Talk on Baptism 3/15/20 Today I want to talk on Baptism.   Being baptized is a commandment from Heavenly Father.   We have to be baptized to make it back to Him.   Even Jesus Christ was baptized.   If Jesus Christ was baptized we should be baptized too.   When we turn 8 years old we can choose to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized too.   When we are baptized and confirmed we become members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.     If you have already been baptized, you should remember the covenants, or promises you made.   If you have not been baptized, you should study and pray and keep the commandments so that when you turn 8 years old you will be ready. We should all remember how important baptism is.   I am really excited I get to be baptized next year.   In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen Faith Parker’s Talk   2/16/20   Today, my talk is going to be about f...